SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 09:44:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendorlator VMC 340  (Read 17447 times)
FlaJunkie

« on: September 10, 2020, 05:57:34 pm »

Hi. I'm new to the soda machines world.

I bought a VMC 340, sight unseen on Marketplace, and am looking for ways to get it to my home. In the meantime, I've a few pics of it.

I'm posting in the Pre 60's because I think it is in that era. I'm not sure.

I know it is the 'behemoth' of soda machines back then. At least I know NOW. It weighs ~600 pounds and is 30x35x77! When I first saw it, I did not realize how big it was but I like a small challenge.

My future goal is to evaluate it and refurbish as needed. I don't use the word restore anymore because some fellow car guys pointed out restore means to factory specs with factory parts. Anything else is refurbishment.

The full frontal:

The front showing some lower 'idiot' damage:

The "Here's a Coke" side:

The compressor:

The bottle drop:

The 340 bottle rack:

The coin door:

The coin mechanism:

Drink Coca-Cola:

Oh, and this is the last thing I refurbished:

My 1970 Camaro Z28. I've owned it since late 1971.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:15:32 pm by FlaJunkie » Logged
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:49:27 am »

Welcome to the site. Now, about your machine. I don't know how much you paid for it, (hopefully it's minimal), but honestly I would leave it there and for the reason when you said it weighs 600lbs. Next to impossible to move and overall just too big. It's not worth the cost or effort to do anything to it. I would look for a much smaller model to start with, in the long run I think you would be glad you did.   

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
FlaJunkie

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:37:57 am »

Welcome to the site. Now, about your machine. I don't know how much you paid for it, (hopefully it's minimal), but honestly, I would leave it there and for the reason when you said it weighs 600lbs. Next to impossible to move and overall just too big. It's not worth the cost or effort to do anything to it. I would look for a much smaller model to start with, in the long run, I think you would be glad you did.   
Aww, goose! Where's your sense of adventure?   biggrin

I've actually been through that entire logic trail and it gives me a headache.   darn  But I like a challenge.

I've already ordered a manual for it. One of my ideas is to disassemble it for transport. I didn't say it was a good idea. It really depends on if I want to spend the time and money to do it.

And I didn't pay very much for it. Thanks for the comments.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:01:55 pm »

It looks like the bottle drum will slide forward and out, then lift the main door up and off it's hinges. You will then be transporting in 3 pieces.

Glen
FlaJunkie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 05:37:21 pm »

It looks like the bottle drum will slide forward and out, then lift the main door up and off it's hinges. You will then be transporting in 3 pieces.
Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Do the manuals from funtronics include disassembly info?
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:46:09 pm »

Or......just have AAA pick it up on a flatbed, seriously.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
FlaJunkie

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 09:32:28 am »

You would be surprised how difficult it is to find moving companies that will move a soda machine. Most will not mix or combine loads. The few that would give an explanation said union and other regulations prohibited it.

I have found one that offered a reasonable quote but could not guarantee a window for pickup.

The plot thickens...
Bireleys1

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 01:20:40 pm »

I believe most local towing companies don't care what they flatbed its still $$$$$$ to them. I have seen heavy machinery on flatbeds and even a garden shed on one. As long as they have easy access to the item and can pull up close to it they should be able to do it for you.

Also, nice 1970 Camaro Z28 you have. I myself have a 1970 Chevelle SS396.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:26:22 pm by Bireleys1 » Logged
FlaJunkie

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 06:15:26 pm »

I believe most local towing companies don't care what they flatbed its still $$$$$$ to them. I have seen heavy machinery on flatbeds and even a garden shed on one. As long as they have easy access to the item and can pull up close to it they should be able to do it for you.

Also, nice 1970 Camaro Z28 you have. I myself have a 1970 Chevelle SS396.
I may have someone that will bring it to me. This is a 700+ mile move. I also have a quote from a moving company. Both are reasonable for my boat-anchor VMC 340!

Back in the fall of 1970, I went down to Spence Chevrolet in Daytona Beach to look at a brand new 1970 Z28 they had for sale. I found it in the side lot; It was red with black stripes. Wow!

But right behind it was a 1970-71 Chevelle SS 454. It was white with black stripes and had a four speed. The very neat thing about it was it had a bench seat. I thought THAT would be better for dates than buckets!

My dad wouldn't co-sign for me so they never happened. A year later near Thanksgiving, I found the one I now own in the classifieds. It had headers and 14,000 miles on it. I paid $1900 for it.

To this day, I have never seen another Chevelle optioned like that one!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:55:54 am by FlaJunkie » Logged
FlaJunkie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 06:18:51 pm »

Welcome to the site. Now, about your machine. I don't know how much you paid for it, (hopefully it's minimal), but honestly I would leave it there and for the reason when you said it weighs 600lbs. Next to impossible to move and overall just too big. It's not worth the cost or effort to do anything to it. I would look for a much smaller model to start with, in the long run I think you would be glad you did.   
Goose, I do have options including selling it to someone else and escaping the moving fiasco. I really want a smaller machine around late 40s or 50s to play with.

But if I can get it here reasonably, I will take a chance!

Thanks for the advice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: