SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 02:54:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cav 72 - vending issues  (Read 9416 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: July 06, 2019, 02:18:09 pm »

I am in the process of completing a restoration on my Cav 72.  Basically I took everything apart and restored as much of the inside as I could and left the outside original.  This included replacing the vending solenoid and vend carrier switch along with the wiring.  I plugged it in for the first time in several years as I have been working on everything else and I am having vending issues.  When I plugged it in I noticed the "Have a Coke" light was on, but noticed the toggle paddle on the stack was in the back position which I though was the not vend position.   Since the light was on I tried to pull open the bottle gate and of course it did not open.   If I try to put any coins in the coin mech when it is in this position the coins just drop straight through to the coin return.   If I manually move the toggle paddle forward the "Have a Coke" light goes off, but I can then pull the bottle gate open for one try.  It seems to me this is backwards and maybe I crossed my wires or something?   One thing to note is that when the toggle paddle is forward and the "Have a Coke" light is off the coin mech will take a dime and deposit correctly in the coin mech. So it also appears the vending solenoid is not activating at all and neither is the vend carrier unless I manually move the toggle paddle.   Could I have a bad terminal block?  One thing to note is all of this was working perfectly before I took it all apart and stared restoring it....of coures  veryangry   I will be posting some pictures of my wiring shortly.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 02:21:46 pm »

Vend Carrier and toggle paddle:
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 02:22:35 pm »

Terminal Block:
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:24:00 pm »

Wiring from the vending solenoid: 
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 02:54:33 pm »

One more of the vend carrier switch and toggle paddle:
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 06:38:08 pm »

Just for clarification, can you manually slide the solenoid, not the "toggle paddle", thus allowing the vend cycle to begin with the release of any bottle selection...
As for the wiring, appears you may have orange, blue & green wires connected to common, NC & NO wrong... Uncertain which is common, but would suggest reversing the wires connected to NC - NO, normally closed - normally open respectively. Then retest with electric connected, plugged in.
The terminal block doesn't really have a way to "go bad", but you could check continuity through each color...
Uncertain what you mean about the dime & it deposits correctly into the coin mech...

Hopefully helpful...

My six cents,

Jim

SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 09:06:59 pm »

Hi Jim, thanks for the help.  Just to clarify, and sorry if I was not clear, I can only manually slide the solenoid or move the toggle paddle to start the vend cycle.  When you say I might have the orange blue and green wires connected wrong I assume you are referring at the micro switch (vend carrier switch) and not the terminal block since they are marked there?  I purchased this micro switch from Soda Jerk Works and it says "For 3- wire Cavalier systems: #1 is COM - blue. #2 is NO - orange. #3 is NC - green".  I thought I did this right, but I will take the cover off of the switch and check and let you know.  Thanks again.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 10:07:58 pm »

Well Jim I should have known better than to doubt you as you were correct as I had the orange and the green crossed on the switch.  I swapped them and now the switch works correctly with the light off when the toggle is towards the back and the "Have a Coke" light on when it is forward.  Of course now I have another problem as I cannot get the solenoid to work.  On my first few attempts to deposit the proper ten cents the solenoid would click and would try and pulled the toggle forward, but did not have enough force to do it.  Now after a few attempts the solenoid won't even make a noise or try to pull the toggle forward after I deposit my ten cents.  I guess the solenoid could be bad, but it is brand new.  I am going to stop for tonight before I concede to spend another $50 on another solenoid....  down
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 10:19:19 pm »

Take your time and pull the solenoid out and do a little volt testing before you change it , may not be bad ,

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 10:21:31 pm »

Thanks cohammer.  I will try that.  I do find it hard to believe the solenoid went bad already.   
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: