SMC Discussion Areas
April 18, 2024, 06:42:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Is Not A Good Sign  (Read 4386 times)
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« on: May 24, 2019, 06:23:23 pm »

Just even a couple of years ago this machine would have been bought within a couple of hours of listing, I think it's been up close to a week now and still there, to me that is not good moving forward, I hope I'm wrong.

I looked at all the photos, this is a straight solid machine that does not need restoration and colors are excellent. Look at the ID tag. Missing slug rejector, at least in the photo. Door liner is rough but overall very nice at $1900.

BTW, this is not my machine just sharing with the group.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vendo-81-Coke-Machine/123773750227?hash=item1cd17d8bd3:g:DmsAAOSwKzxc2bTF

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:33:57 pm »

I've noticed a decline in prices across the board for vending machines in general...
Uncertain what is contributing to this phenomenon...
But you are correct in that the posted V-81 would have been scooped up just a year or so ago!

My six cents,

Jim

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:30:20 am »

I hope someone here got it. I was close to pulling the trigger on that one. I always wanted a nice original B. I put in a pitiful make offer bid. Didn’t expect it to fly.

A lot of stuff.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02:58:17 pm »

I think the auction just ended, I don't think it sold.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 03:32:44 pm »

Sadly, down I don't think there are many people in their 20's to 40's who see the value in these machines that most of us do.  I know we have several exceptions to my broad statement in the hobby; but in general, I believe that they are just that--exceptions.  Unfortunately, a lot of us are getting up there in years and starting to think about retirement so there are probably starting to be more sellers than buyers.  Slider Bob and I have had this discussion more than a few times. If you are in your 50's or older, you remember when vending machines were in a lot of different places and you probably even used some of the machines that we all collect.  I used to love buying candy out of Stoners when I was a kid or sneaking a $0.45 pack of smokes out of the national 9 pull at the gas station even though the machine had the "No sales to minors" sticker on it.  At least that was my connection and why I got into the hobby several years back.

Hope that changes because I can't see any of the current vending machines being viewed like the classics that we all love.

drinking Tim drinking
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 03:56:29 pm »

I think the auction just ended, I don't think it sold.

Yes it sold, actually they sold it twice.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ace77557/m.html?item=123773750227&nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Glen
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:15:16 am »

I remember when the Ford model A and T scene was huge with those cars selling for big bucks.  Now you can pick up a really nice car for not alot of money.  If the classic soda machine market crashed tomorrow, I'd be content to enjoy the machines I have.  I've bought and sold enough stuff to the point where I'm way ahead on the money side of things! happydrinkers
IvanTT

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 04:18:03 pm »

As with most collectibles if you're expecting them to be an investment, especially when they have inflated pricing like a lot of these machines, cars, etc., you're buying them for the wrong reason.
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 08:37:40 am »

I collect because I love the things I buy but most of us that are over 50 appreciate the style and look of these machines. Most younger people don’t even want to visit a museum much less collect anything.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest