SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 03:19:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V63A not cooling repair or repace?  (Read 15316 times)
goob

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 06:17:29 pm »

Thank all of you for the help and advice, nice to find communities like this.  Moondog, I see the fitting you are talking about. Dad and my uncle didnt do ac work, if I recall was filled in the mid to late 70s the last time.  The ac guy I talked to said all he would be able to do is vaccume test, will find out why.  It was a small service station, full service, lube, oil changes, tires and batteries, kinda like Gasoline Allhey! Also any tricks to getting wiring cover off the compressor?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 07:46:36 pm »

the compressor covers rubber gasket is probably just cemented to the case/housing by decades of dirt, heat & gunk, I see that you've removed the mounting screw at the center already, just use a flat blade screwdriver & pry around the edges, it should pop off once you peel off the gasket from the case.  pull it away carefully as the wires going into the protected area are quite short & probably also brittle with age, but if you are rewiring it, it shouldn't be an issue.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
goob

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 12:04:31 am »

Thanks needed a block od wood and a few taps of a hammer.  That sucker was stuck.  Now to clean things up a bit and get the cooling deck to the shop. Getting there. Will have to post a pic of it with the newer flying red horse sign I fixed up  biggrin
goob

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 12:47:59 am »

Here are before and after cleaning woth coil cleaner. Also ahad more of a problem with the door seal than i thought. Gonna test the cooling deck before sending it for work.  Jim might be right check the simple stuff first!
goob

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 08:57:32 pm »

The million dollar question, will the door seal be enough.  i checked the door seal and because the door was tweaked by a break in attempt, it is not as tight as i thought. By adding a 1/4 inch additional weatherstripping it definitely seals better. I am going with Jims comment somewhere go with the simple stuff first, new wiring harness arrives friday, so will plug it all in and see what happens.  If it still doesnt get cold, the to the shop for hotshot 2. Ah the fun of old stuff!
goob

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 03:13:02 pm »

Picked up my compressor this morning, recharged with hot shot 2, wouldnt do r-12, and a new overload breaker. It is pulling the temp down nice, cold beers with dinner drinking  thanks for all the help and advice.
goob

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 04:44:37 pm »

One last thing when i pulled the cooling deck, the thermostat capillary tube was mounted to the evaporator sheet metal, but based on what i read here looks like it should be free floating in the air flow so that is what i did. Using a freezer thermometer, it is pulling down to 20 degrees in the first 4 hours or so, but not shutting off until i turn the thermostat all the way left until it clicks.  Normal, give it time, or probably bad thermostat?
goob

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 04:50:41 pm »

Yea pics help
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 07:05:37 pm »

the thermostat capillary tube was mounted to the evaporator sheet metal,

There are 2 kinds of thermostats, air flow and contact. Try moving the cap tube back to where you found it.

Glen
goob

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:19 pm »

Thanks moondog.  I think it just needs dialing in.  The tip is pretty much the same diameter as the tibe, and it is starting to behave better.  I am gonna let it go a day or two, and if i am not happy will move it. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: