SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 02:18:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V63A not cooling repair or repace?  (Read 15321 times)
goob

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:12:45 pm »

Thanks that is what i wanted to know when i talk to the guy tomorrow
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 11:24:39 am »

Again, this is just one way of many to fix your system,   Guess you’ll find out, good luck.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:02:06 pm »

You might as well purchase a couple of cans of R-12 before taking your system in for repair.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.XR-12+freon.TRS0&_nkw=R-12+freon&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_odkw=Vendo+

Glen
goob

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 10:47:32 pm »

I talked to the guy this morning and he said he would pull the r12 out vaccume test for leaks and refill with Hot Shot 2.  According to him not quite as good as r12 but it is a direct repalcement.  Thoughts.  I am in Western Washington and no one wants to touch it.
goob

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 11:02:52 pm »

A couple more questions about the wiring.  I pulled the bakelight box off that the compressor plugs into, and looks like you can only access the side where the evap fan and thermostat plug into.  I thought i should be able to get to the power cord also but looks like it doesnt open. Also it looks like there is a cap over the wiring but it seems stuck and i thought it would come off.  Is it just stuck with age or are there tabs of some sort?  Thanks for your help!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 06:05:14 am »

A replacement wiring harness can be purchased from Soda Jerk Works or Fun-Tronics.
If you are feeling "froggy", you can carefully drill out the large brass coupling to gain access...

My six cents,

Jim

goob

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 08:05:23 am »

Thanks Jim was just researching that.
goob

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 08:08:58 am »

What are your thoughts on hot shot 2?  Search didnt help much. Thanks
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 04:12:45 pm »

RE; Hotshot -2 It’s a replacement option for R12 systems, & it plays well with the original mineral oil lubricant,   (BTW there is no such thing as a “drop-in replacement “  )  

FYI, pulling a vacuum Is not a sufficient leak test, you really need to pressurize the system to the recommended test pressures either with nitrogen or even R134, if your system is low on charge, then there’s a leak somewhere, and a fresh filter/dryer is always recommended,  find & fix the dammed leak, if it’s a very slow leak,  he could add a rated stop-leak with florescent dye to assure the fix.  

My opinion is that those added flare-fittings on the sight glass & the filter are part of the system leak, original V63 Tecumseh decks were brazed copper, no flare fittings, so the deck was serviced in the past for a leak & the sight glass is was added to easily check on the freon charge without sticking a gauge set on the system, & your Dad probably just kept topping off the system when the pop got warm,  cause he probably had plenty of R12 lying around for the automobile customers AC systems he serviced at his garage.

Thanks for sharing your machines road to recovery with us, good to see you’re taking the time to learn about your cooling system.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:16:10 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 06:00:50 pm »

Like Johnie says, a sight glass fitting may be to blame. In looking at your picture of the site glass, I notice that 3 brass fittings are original looking but the one at the very top of the picture looks black as if it has been spraying oil. I would suspect that fitting is where the leak is. Oo

Glen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: