SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 12:16:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V63A not cooling repair or repace?  (Read 15319 times)
goob

« on: March 17, 2019, 02:40:51 pm »

Hi, i have a 1960 v63 with original vt 25 cooling deck.  Everything runs, compressor and both fans but it does not cool. The ccapillary tube gets a bunch frost on it after about 30 minutes running. It was serviced in the late 70's i think with a dryer and fitting with a glass tube.  There is clear liquid swirling in the window when running.  The door is tweaked a little from when a druggie tried to break into it but i dont feel any air blowing when it is running.   I am just getting it going again after sitting for about 30 years, when my dad clised his gas station. I am not restoring it, just wanna cool some beers and pop.  So try and repair, or replace with a global.  Will post pic later, the ones i took were too big to pst, even reduced in size biggrin
Thanks, kent
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:20:51 pm by goob » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:38:33 pm »

I am guessing it is low on charge, some of that Freon has leaked out since the machine was serviced.

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 07:26:55 pm »

I agree that it sounds like an under-charged system, you’ll have to get a gauge set on it & see what’s up, that viewing charge glass is a bit of over-kill IMO for such a small 1/4 Hp system. But since it’s there, you should see only clear fluid filled window through it with some occasional small bubbles, it shouldn’t look like a running faucet or a babbling brook ( a discernable stream)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
goob

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:40:29 pm »

Thanks, just took it out so will clean it up a bit and find a place local to charge and test for leaks.  I am going to see if i can spring the door back in shape with some clamps a block of wood.  Its not too far out and we ran it that way for a long time but if i remember right it would ice up a bit.
goob

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 10:50:09 pm »

Another question, running the machine for about 2 hours the compressor and fan never stopped.  Is this because of low r12 or thermostat bad, or hard to tell?  Thanks again for helpimg a rookie!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 11:14:44 pm »

running the machine for about 2 hours the compressor and fan never stopped. 

Because of the lack of Freon, the machine never pulled down to the desired temperature.

Glen
goob

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 06:22:20 pm »

glare tough finding someone local to test and recharge. Gonna talk to someone tomorrow morning and told he could do it but would use a different gas.  What would he use that would not screw it all up? If not r12, should I keep looking?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:08:01 pm »

glare tough finding someone local to test and recharge. Gonna talk to someone tomorrow morning and told he could do it but would use a different gas.  What would he use that would not screw it all up? If not r12? Should I keep looking?

That Detective,  is the right question , ( I robot) ask him, he's going to do the work...not us, how would I (we) know what gas he's planing to use, there are many suitable refrigerants that could be made to work in an R12 system.  Get your answers before you drag the machine to his shop. There are no guarantees with an old compressor, while many conversions work fine you never really know.

11 is louder than 10...
goob

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:44:11 pm »

Thanks thats what i plan to do. Easier because the cooling deck is out of the machine.  So is it always this hard to find someone local to do the refrigeration.  I had about 5 shops just flat out say no, because they dont make r12 any more.  Grrrr
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 08:49:34 pm »

Oh R12  is still available, & China makes it by the Nth degree/ tonnes, it's just expensive. every shop has some squirreled away, ( usually recovered or a partial jug of virgin)

I'd go with recovering the R12, vacuum down the system, leak check with nitrogen, vacuum down again, add R134A (with a new filter/dryer)  & some poly-oil additive to help the original mineral oil accept the new R134A,  & see if it fly's smile...

11 is louder than 10...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: