SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 02:26:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There are some clocks on eBay...  (Read 4708 times)
Eric
Soda Jerks

« on: February 10, 2019, 12:30:15 pm »

Now I'm not saying these are fake and I know I haven't seen it all but... in over 20 years of collecting  I've never seen one of these exact clocks, not even a rough one...
This seller seems to have quite a few of these... knocking one out a week it seems... all seem to be same condition...  aged faces with water stains... And how are the
water stains getting on the face with glass covering them and wouldn't the stains run down if it's hanging on the wall... the number fonts don't match any other clock face..
for example the Dr Pepper clock up for sale now... would think they, Dr Pepper, would be consistent... and look at the prices they are bringing... wow.. anyway thoughts...
Can somebody bring me up to date on small kitchen soda and gas and oil clocks.

And check out his completed/sold listings for others...

Again not saying they are fake... but seller wouldn't tell me if the faces were new. Just the clocks were old and everything "looked" consistent with age.
I would say buyer beware. Don't want anyone getting stung... be careful out there...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-RED-DECO-TELECHRON-ADVERTISING-DR-PEPPER-SODA-OLD-DINER-CAFE-WALL-CLOCK-SIGN/292841527994
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:56:57 pm by johnieG » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:06:31 pm »

I saw all his completed auctions and I would have to agree, I have never seen any of those before, (not claiming to be a clock expert). Prices on some are lets just say, quite high.

It's also the reason, besides money, that I don't invest in either signs or clocks, too many fakes. This problem will never fix itself, will only get worse. With the price of signs skyrocketing, the quality of fake signs are also improving so before we know it they will be equal in both looks and quality, or at least close enough that it will be impossible to tell the difference, especially in photos. 

His auctions descriptions are a little strange as far as wordy with different fonts/colors. To me that can be a way of hiding something.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:25:57 pm »

I am seeking a higher authority on this issue and hope to have an answer soon...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:54:46 pm »

These clocks appear to all be made of plastic (no chipped paint) and all have new power cords.
        High prices paid and he still maintains 100% feedback. I don't get it either.   Oo

Glen
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:31:50 pm »

No clock expert here either, but no way these are from the 50s.  They do look plastic and interesting he calls this listing vintage, but the Teem Clock he has for sale he calls original.   Also for the Teem clock he says that is 1940's, but I thought Teem did not come out until 1960?
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:45 pm »

The clocks I'm mostly questioning are all the sold little funky shaped kitchen ones... I think the clocks are real (old) just something about the faces.
I would think if a clock company was going to do a line of advertising clocks they would stick with one design like the PAM or Cleveland clocks... not
just jump all over and do whatever shape they have laying around... $800+ dollars for a small odd clock I would want to make sure it's the real deal.
But maybe they are... just never seen them before and wondering... Amazing someone has come across that many clocks with that many different
companies (one even has 2 oil companies on it)... all same condition.... none worse or better than the other.

Eric

WANTED:
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:33:49 pm »

There is an old saying "If it looks  to good to be true, it probably is". There are just too many being sold at one time for these to be original. Maybe the clock is real but the face sure ain't.I am pretty sure that there never was a Dog n Suds clock like the one that is on the sold portion of his listings. A lot of people being swindled. I've collected soda for over 40 years and have never seen a Mountain Dew or a Dad's Root Beer clock like the ones sold. I also agree that the cord is too new. Yes they say it "may" be a replacement but I think they should know it if they deal in clocks. Buyer beware with this guy. There is too much fraud on eBay today.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 07:37:05 pm »

Received an answer from some people that collect Telechron clocks and stated this is a fantasy clock !

My six cents,

Jim

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 08:06:38 pm »

He just put up a DAD's Root Beer clock.. they're cool just not $800 cool

Eric

WANTED:
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:33 pm »

I'm not 100% sure but I think I have been to this sellers brick and mortar store.  Has some interesting old stuff and lots of clocks.  Not just advertising clocks but all kinds.  I remember a conversation with him about a clock he was working on that had a glass face that was broken.  It was not an advertising face but it was an antique clock.  I asked how it the world he would find a replacement.  He told me that he had a contact with someone who could print a screened image onto glass so he would just have a new one made.  Now I'm not saying these are made the same way and I'm not completely sure its the same person, but I came across this seller a year or two ago and thought the same thing about the sell prices and I also questioned whether they were legitimate.  Personally I also think they look cool, but would not be a buyer. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: