SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 03:15:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unrestored Vendo 81D  (Read 9008 times)
Polo

« on: January 29, 2019, 11:10:10 am »

Hi group, New guy here. Just got done typing up a longish post asking for some insight as to the value of an unrestored Vendo 81D. Finished the post, added some pics, and it was rejected due to size. Starting over now.

Went to look at this machine over the weekend. Looked like it was in very good condition to my untrained eye. It seemed in such good condition that I probably wouldn't even think about restoring (except to repair that which needed repaired). Everything was present and 99% of it worked (did not cool). I offered the folks $2,400....no love, upped my offer...still no love. Asked what their bottom line was, and was told $3,000. I walked away, but stayed in their good graces, telling them that I may be back in touch.

My questions are.....was my offer low? Is $3,000 an unreasonable asking price for an unrestored Vendo 81D, in what I would call very good condition? I should explain that I would not be buying this to flip. I will be the end user and I am only concerned that someday I would be able to be able to get my money back out of it if needed.

couple of pics attached...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:22:08 am by Polo » Logged
Polo

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 11:17:58 am »

Couple of more pics...
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:36:48 am »

Nice pretty machine but the answer to your question of value lies within the non-working compressor.
Do you feel comfortable throwing another $500 to $1000 into it? This should be a major bargaining chip in your favor.

Glen
Polo

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:18:27 pm »

Nice pretty machine but the answer to your question of value lies within the non-working compressor.
Do you feel comfortable throwing another $500 to $1000 into it? This should be a major bargaining chip in your favor.

Yeah, that's why I offered the $2,400 at the onset. I thought that my comfort level would be at $3,000 to $3,200 for a fully operational machine in original condition.

I guess what had me pondering paying their price is the difference between the price of a fully restored machine and one like this. I'll keep looking for now...thanks for the reply.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:49:09 pm »

Agreed to what Moondawg stated.
3k for this original machine IF WORKING would be a great deal..
but make sure you look deeper into what was not working? was the compressor running and just not getting cold, if so then yeah you have some issues , leaks etc..
if it just never turned on when plugged in could be a simple thermostat part, power cable or loose wire?
so find out more of what was "not working" and maybe it's an easy fix.
otherwise a new drop in unit from Global is around $1000 with shipping.

good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:35:22 pm »

First of all that machine is nice, very nice. I would still pursue it.

Most sellers don't care justifying a non working compressor for a lower price. As for as you continuing to look for another, it could be a while before one that nice pops up again and if it does I can guarantee you if it's complete and working it will run you more than $3500 in this same condition.

Vendo 81's that need restoration prices have remained flat for a while now, so have restored ones, however, nice originals have been going up because they are getting very tough to find. Hard to say exactly how nice this one is but from what I can see I like it a lot.

Now, were you planning on using it or just for show? I'm asking because if you wanted to just display it you can always deal with the compressor at a later time.

Long story short, I would grab it even at 3K. 

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Polo

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 08:45:24 am »

Agreed to what Moondawg stated.
3k for this original machine IF WORKING would be a great deal..
but make sure you look deeper into what was not working? was the compressor running and just not getting cold, if so then yeah you have some issues , leaks etc..
if it just never turned on when plugged in could be a simple thermostat part, power cable or loose wire?
so find out more of what was "not working" and maybe it's an easy fix.
otherwise a new drop in unit from Global is around $1000 with shipping.

good luck!

Not really sure what the cooling issue is. Fan runs, but never heard the compressor kick on. Had it plugged in for about 20 minutes while I was there, could not feel the compressor running and it never got warm to the touch.

There is a guy in Pa. (not too far from me) that gave me price for refurbishing the cooling system. I called him prior to looking at the machine. He was at about $700, if I take it out and deliver it too him.

Thanks for the response. Input is greatly appreciated.
Polo

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 08:59:10 am »

First of all that machine is nice, very nice. I would still pursue it.

Most sellers don't care justifying a non working compressor for a lower price. As for as you continuing to look for another, it could be a while before one that nice pops up again and if it does I can guarantee you if it's complete and working it will run you more than $3500 in this same condition.

Vendo 81's that need restoration prices have remained flat for a while now, so have restored ones, however, nice originals have been going up because they are getting very tough to find. Hard to say exactly how nice this one is but from what I can see I like it a lot.

Now, were you planning on using it or just for show? I'm asking because if you wanted to just display it you can always deal with the compressor at a later time.

Long story short, I would grab it even at 3K. 

These people just had the machine for show. He basically told me that if he would rather get the cooling system fixed himself and keep it than sell it for less than $3,000.

Not sure if everyone has this problem, but as I look for machines, it seems that everyone is putting a premium price on them. There is a Vendo 90 (early 60's) near me that looks to be in pretty good condition. The guy is asking $1,500. The little bit of reading that I've done here is telling me that he is about 3 times too high, and I doubt he is going to drop his price that much anytime soon. If I'm going to spend a bit to much, my gut is telling me to do it with a more collectible machine.

I'm thinking I'm gonna call the Vendo 81 owners and see if they'll still take $3,000 for it. Soon as I do that something better will come up  laugh

Thanks for the evaluation. You guys have been great help.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 09:22:01 am »

Stay away from 60s machines. Buying a 60s machine is a purchase. Buying a Vendo 81 is an investment. Big difference. $1500 for a Vendo 90 is about $1500 too much.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Polo

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 09:43:44 am »

Stay away from 60s machines. Buying a 60s machine is a purchase. Buying a Vendo 81 is an investment. Big difference. $1500 for a Vendo 90 is about $1500 too much.

Thanks again, this forum is a great resource.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: