SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 04:08:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VMC 81 7up finally Done!  (Read 8545 times)
JerryG

« on: January 15, 2019, 11:51:41 pm »

I wanted to share some photos of my VMC 81 7up machine. Unfortunately, the photo sizes are too big. I shared a link to my Pinterest page. If you would like me to email you any photos or if you have any questions, please let me know.

https://pin.it/lhkamehpus24jm

Take care,

Jerry

81A
81B
81D
V44
C72
VMC 81 Pepsi
VMC 81 7up
Coin Changer (early)
blownmach

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:12:25 am »

Excellent! jawdrop
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:34:12 am »

Very Nice Indeed ! ! !
Great documentation too!

My six cents,

Jim

SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:03:03 am »

Wow just wow, looks fantastic!!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:25 pm »

Wow... A great addition to your collection. Congrats! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
JerryG

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:50:57 pm »

Thank you. Hopefully one day I will run across a VMC81 RC but I have yet to see on in California.

81A
81B
81D
V44
C72
VMC 81 Pepsi
VMC 81 7up
Coin Changer (early)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 07:45:34 pm »

VMC81 RC but I have yet to see one in California.

Don't think like that Jerry, I have pulled 2 of them in original condition, from here in Ventura County over the last 20 years.

Nice job on the 7up  happydrinkers

Glen
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:54:21 pm »

That’s a great job! Looks fantastic
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 08:08:40 am »

Excellent work. Loved how you payed attention to detail.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:58:44 pm »

A very superb restoration, the attention to detail is awesome, ... but why oh why didn’t you attend ( replace) to the 70 year old compressor?  ( just a pet peeve of mine) I hope it doesn’t give you grief down the road.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
JerryG

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 04:55:12 pm »

I am a stickler for originality. That’s why I kept it white.  All of my machines have the original compressors. I actually have two user machines running with the original compressors. I double insulate the machines. . The compressors come on once or twice an hour. At any given moment the beer in my 81D is 32 degrees.

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:58:12 pm by JerryG » Logged

81A
81B
81D
V44
C72
VMC 81 Pepsi
VMC 81 7up
Coin Changer (early)
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 05:04:54 pm »

I agree on the original look.. the All white looks awesome! Great collection you have there.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:57 pm »

I am a stickler for originality. That’s why I kept it white.  All of my machines have the original compressors. I actually have two user machines running with the original compressors. I double insulate the machines. . The compressors come on once or twice an hour. At any given moment the beer in my 81D is 32 degrees.

Jerry

Sorry I just cannot agreed with that line of thought in regards to keeping a 60 to 70+ year old lump of a compressor in a restored machine, sure it’s running in many cases, but for how much longer? No matter how much paint, glitter & sprinkles you glue onto it. That compressor’s neither rebuilt nor restored.  The old units do look really cool though I do admit.

While keeping as close to the original  appearance is an important aspect of a machines restoration, cosmetics are only skin deep as they say. ( paraphrased) and replacement of the compressor is an additional consideration of the cost factor in the  bottom line of any machines restoration.

If I was sold or purchased a restored automobile only to discover that the engine hadn’t been rebuilt with equal care as the rest of the vehicle & only cleaned & spray painted  and was told it was to keep it “original”  I’d be a very sad panda when the old lump takes a dive.  ( politeness filter turn on here)

In my (jaded) opinion, it’s not fully restored until it’s fit in form and function.  Unless it’s a rebuildable compressor such as a York or a Copland unit it’s a consumable item no different than brake pads or tires. I wish they did have a repop Tecumseh pancake compressor, that’d be the hot ticket. 

If I start feeling nostalgic about the old compressor, I can always keep it in box in the garage and stare at it I guess.  tounge

11 is louder than 10...
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 11:01:50 pm »

Beautiful machine indeed Jerry. Stunning actually. While some, not all, restorers are busy padding themselves on the back calling themselves the greatest restorers ever don't know of people like Jerry and others I'm sure who can restore such great pieces just as good as the professionals and in some cases even better so very nice work.

As for the compressor I totally prefer the original over new. They just seem to work better. I understand age, 60-70 years old but most I'm sure have only been plugged in a fraction of those years. When I see a restored machine for sale with an aftermarket or non-original compressor I see it as a negative.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:55:08 pm »

Nice to see a correct restoration! Great job it looks awesome! As far as that original compressor I would rather have that 70 year old compressor any day of the week than a cheap Chinese replacement. I’ve got 12 81s at the moment and all have original equipment with the exception of one!

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 01:26:59 am »

Yes Joey, after I read your post I was looking for the "Like" button but I guess we don't have one here but couldn't agree more.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 11:14:43 am »

I agree, that if the original compressor is cleaned up and restored and of course in working condition, why not restore it and use it.. it looks great in that machine, and if you can get more years out of it.. great.

I have original compressors in my daily machines that I Restored and after new insulation, gaskets and such, kicks on 2 times an hour for about 3 minutes each to maintain a frosty cold beer!!!

Nothing against the new compressors, and great that they are out there, but why replace if not needed yet.

Great looking machine!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »

Hey I like original compressors too, got a few machines of my own with ‘em in them, they still run fine...  but sorry, if all you did was clean it, rewire it and then repaint thecompressors shell , but you didn’t replace or rebuilt the guts, it is Not restored, it’s not repaired, nor is it refurbished, regardless of how well it runs or how long it’s been in service or how long it will continue to work,  and calling it “ restored “ is wrong , when all it is in fact is just a repainted lie.

That’s the point I’m trying to emphasize... Words have meanings.

So if you bought a machine that’s billed a “100 % restored to better than new conditions”  But it still has the original compressor sitting there giving you a middle finger in your face, would you agree with that quoted statement of its restored condition?   glare

There have been lawsuits & legal charges brought for just such claims, Pat & I are fixing some “ restorations” of machines sold by a person of such scruples ( lack of, that is)  those machines will be restored & as will the cooling systems with new compressors. It’s a pity that they had to go through this twice with their machines.  ( the sh*t I’ve seen)  censored

If it’s an original working unit, great and wonderful, it’s a credit to the engineering of times past for all to enjoy,  just don’t call it “restored “  veryangry

11 is louder than 10...
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 11:07:14 pm »

WWCD.....what would Carl do  biggrin

Fair enough. I will no longer call a painted compressor in a restored machine, restored, only painted. Now, you need to send the memo to the 65% of all "restored" soda machines on eBay and Craigslist that are only exterior painted with everything else left untouched that those machines aren't restored either, only painted. I have a bigger problem with that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:15:00 pm by mygoose101 » Logged

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Ezra
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 09:57:40 pm »

Jerry,
Beautiful machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: