SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 01:55:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 63 Rebuild Questions  (Read 3487 times)
SandyG

« on: December 31, 2018, 02:35:05 pm »

Hi,

New to the SMC forum and I just picked up enough parts to fix up a Vendo 63 Coke machine. In testing out the compressor and related electrics I noticed that when the compressor shuts down the evap fan still seems to blow. I think this is normal but my question is can I rewire so it only comes on while the compressor is operating?

Here are my thoughts -

This is going deep into my garage where it's generally cool, no direct heat from sunshine or outside wall. My entire garage is also insulated well and has drywall. I figured might save some electricity and longevity of the fan if it is not running all the time.

Given the low volume of traffic and the overall coolness of the garage I might not need to have the re-circulation of air inside the box except when the compressor is on. I do expect some change in temps but would still expect it to say cold.

Crazy idea?

Thanks

Sandy
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:32:15 am »

I'm not sure it's a good idea to do this, but it wouldn't be hard to do.  All you have to do is connect the two leads to the evaporator fan to the same wires that connect to the condenser fan.  The circuit is only completed when the thermostat is tripped, which is the only time the compressor and condenser fan run.
SandyG

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:48:38 am »

Thanks for the reply!

I was trying to think of reason not to do it, and only things I could come up with are condensation issues and possibly uneven cooling came to mind.

I did a bit of research on the motors and I think the evap fan is only 9 watts of power usage so it may be pointless in the grand scheme of things. I was thinking of tossing in a small muffin fan and switch the evap fan with the compressor but in looking at the wattage of the smaller muffin fans they come in at 4 watts or so, so savings isn't that much.

I'll just charge myself more money for the soda's to make up for the extra power draw of leaving the fan on all the time biggrin

Sandy
kdog
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:08:23 am »

Hi SandyG,

I have a Vendo 56 Squaretop, which is very similar to a Vendo 63, and it is normal to for the evap fan to stay on even when the compressor is switched off.

Here is another reason not to mess with the fan.  If the fan isn't blowing out the cold air and keeping the area cool, the temp sensor might engage the compressor more than would be normal.

When i originally bought my machine, the temp sensor wire was folded up and tucked away in the bottom corner of the fridge.  However, from the many photos of other Vendo 56 and 63 machines I had taken and downloaded over the years, and few manuals, I found that the temp probe wire was stretched out and the tip with the probe was located above the air fan, directly in the airflow.

I made the change, and found the compressor engaged less often than before, and for a shorter period of time.  And the drinks were nice and cold  drinking

As for increased costs, i find that setting aside $7-$14 a week pretty much covers the added cost of running a machine.

Got any photos of the machine inside and out?  Am a fan of the 56/63's, and always like to compare machines, see how they are setup etc.
SandyG

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:54:59 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that I'm going to leave the system alone. I have so many projects going that I should just enjoy a frosty cold soda and be done with it  drinking

My machine was the left over of parts from my cousins V63 rebuild. He had enough spares to get one that had a working compressor and enough good parts to make it work. Not going to paint it or restore it other then rust clean up. The machine was one with at one time a drinking fountain that had a bad leak. Bottom of under the galvanized inner compartment was pretty rusted but had enough meat left to scrape off the rust and just paint with some Rustoleum enamel. Had to pick up a Coinco 9070S Coin changer for it off of ePay so my kid has to save money to drink all of dads soda's. Otherwise I think the only think I would like to get would be a light box for the front of the machine as my cousin has one and it looks pretty nice.

Attached one pic of the machine getting some paint on the floor pan. Need to start putting it back together, fiberglass insulation was in near perfect shape so going to re-use that except for the bottom and kept one from another box that he had.

Sandy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: