SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 02:04:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VF56 The frame on the lighted sign  (Read 3112 times)
jaco

« on: November 29, 2018, 12:25:22 pm »

Hello everyone,

My name is J.  I recently picked up a VF56 square top to use as a beer fridge for a very reasonable price.  I have no plans to restore it.  I'd just like to clean it up a little and ensure its safe operation.  In the 2 weeks I've had it, I've cleaned all the dust and dirt out of it and the coils.  Went over the electrical, which i intend to replace just to be on the safe side.  Changed out some light bulbs, etc.  I'm trying to pick up some shelves for it now as its missing 4.  So if you happen to have any, please let me know.  Everything in it seems to be in working order.

Anyway, on to my question.

The sign that's in there is almost certainly not original, but i kinda dig it.  So i wanted to see about either making a new, similar one or at least fixing it's placement in the frame.  I can get the entire frame out of the machine.

Now, how in the life of me do i get the frame off the sign? is it friction fit with those clips? is it permanent?  As you can see from the pictures the fiberglass is cracked and the sign is sort of punched into the frame in places.  I'd like to at least fix that if possible.  Any help would be appreciated as i dont want to break it (like i almost did with the bottle door light fixture)
UnknownDan

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:37:33 am »

I don't have the brand(I've got a Cavalier) but from inside the front door look up at the bottom sign area to see if there are any screws(or maybe holes where screws were, that was my case). My sign just slid out with a bit of prying. It came out as a whole piece.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:16:42 am »

If I understand you properly, you got the sign out of the machine but you can't get the plexi-glass out of the sign frame?
Since you didn't show us the back of the sign, the best advice I can give you at this time is "if someone put that sign together, you can take it apart the same way". My guess is that you may have to drill out 1 or 2 rivets holding the corners together, then replace the rivets with small screws if need be.

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:33:26 pm »

this Vendorlator VF models' sign ( most didn't have a light up version) are held in place by two bolts that are removed from the inside of the door liner

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jaco

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 04:02:32 pm »

If I understand you properly, you got the sign out of the machine but you can't get the plexi-glass out of the sign frame?

Right.  There where two L type brackets the back of the frame held in place with clutch head screws.  After removing those i found a rivet i had to drill out as you suggested to take it apart.  The nice part seems to be that the rivet wasn't really required, as those brackets hold the sign together just fine even after the rivet was removed. 

Thanks for the tip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: