SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 02:29:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coke Machine Outside Metal Surface Cool/Cold  (Read 3788 times)
todd62

« on: October 07, 2018, 09:20:40 am »

This morning a set my hand on the top of my Coke machine and noticed the outside metal surface was pretty cool in temperature. Should it feel cool? If so how cool should these older/unrestored machines feel, should it be noticeable? Maybe the insulation needs replacement, or maybe not if that's normal. Its a 1962 Vendo 63 that was never restored so it probably has the manufacturers original insulation. The compressor and everything inside runs as it should and doesn't seem to kick-on all that often during the day as it stays at a nice 36 degrees. Thoughts? Thanks!   
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:17:49 am »

The insulation has probably deteriorated at that spot on the cabinet, the old spun fiberglass insulation tends to fray, sag & compact as it ages, losing it's properties.  I see it all the time when disassembling machines for repair & restorations.

bottom line, if it isn't fluffy, it's not going to insulate very well. if it's just "cool" maybe it can wait, but if it has started to show condensation on the outside of the cabinet you've got some work ahead of you.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
todd62

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 04:23:40 pm »

I just went out and checked at several different areas. It's the same temperature/coolness anywhere you feel and there's no condensation at all. So I guess for the meantime it's fine, but at some point in the future I'll take it apart and replace all the insulation. Thank you very much for the help. 
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:24:01 pm »

What part of the country do you live in...?
If the machine is in the garage or on the porch, it may be due to slightly cooler outside temperature...
If you have this machine indoors, it's interesting that the whole machine is experiencing a cooling effect to the exterior sheet metal...

My six cents,

Jim

sdebol

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 12:31:50 am »

My Vendo 81 still has its original insulation and I notice the same thing—cool to the touch all over the cabinet but no visible condensation.  No areas feel particularly colder than others—just cool all over.  Interior temp stays appropriately cold.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: