SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 05:15:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1962 Vendo 63 Door light operation  (Read 7599 times)
todd62

« on: August 31, 2018, 05:11:43 am »

The door light on my 63 works correct and will turn on and off with the button. Instead of turning the light on and have it stay on all the time, can it be set up to come on after the money is inserted and it's ready to vend and then shut off after the bottle is removed?
Thanks. 
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:04:42 am »

It would seem to be possible but would take some re-wiring.  It sounds like you want the light to work like the "Have a Coke" lens on the Cavalier 72 and 96.  I think you would probably have to connect the light wires to the two leads that go to the solenoid that activates after the money is inserted.  If you have or know someone who has a Cavalier 72 or 96 you might be able to study its wiring and figure out a solution.
todd62

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:41:48 am »

That's exactly right. This is all new to me so I was wondering if anyone has already done it.
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:13:28 pm »

Another issue you would have to overcome to do this is the light type.  I believe that the Vendo 63 has a fluorescent light with a starter.  You have to momentarily hold down the button to light the tube.  You can modify the wiring to power the light when the solenoid activates, but the light won't light without you engaging the starter.  You would need to switch to a different type of light to get the simple on/off operation that you desire.
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 07:51:51 pm »

well stated vendo 81

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
todd62

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 07:07:31 am »

Here is the door light on my 63. The original was missing so I fabricated one that looks close. I looked at photos of originals to make mine.
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:05:54 am »

If you are satisfied with the light that you fabricated, it would seem to just be a matter of connecting the light to the same leads as the solenoid switch on the bottle stack.  I don't currently have a V-63 and I've never restored one (I did own one briefly).  You need to find the two wires that go to the solenoid k.  I would expect that it is on the bottom of the bottle stack.  You can put your money in the coin mechanism and listen for the sound of the solenoid activating to help locate it.  Pulling a bottle out resets the switch.  Therefore, mimicking the solenoid operation should give you the effect you want.  Once you find those wires, you need to attach a wire to each of them and then attach them to your light bulb socket.  The wires will have to run up behind your door liner and up to the light socket.  You might be able to fish them through using fish tape like electricians use.  Otherwise, you will have to remove the door liner.  You already have a series of wires that run from the main cabinet up the door to the coin mechanism, so you can probably use an existing opening in the door.  You won't need the wires that are currently attached to the light socket, so you can cover the ends with something to keep them from shorting out and tuck them behind the door liner.  I wish I could give you more exact directions, but since I don't have a V-63 to look at, this is the best I can do.  Hope this helps.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:49:48 pm »

I believe that tapping into the solenoid would only give you a momentary light.
I know Cavaliers all use a limit switch that triggers the "Have a Coke" light, which would work well for you, but I don't think Vendo provided one.

Glen
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 08:19:43 am »

Good point Moondawg.  I forgot about the switch.  Here's a picture of the Cavalier 72 setup.  I've marked the switch and the solenoid.  You can see that the solenoid trips a lever that in turn trips the switch.  After the bottle is vended, the lever returns to its original position through the action of the spring.
sjt1803

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:33:32 am »

You can do this electronically for any machine, but it will take a little work.

What you need is a off delay relay or module.

Something like this should work with a modification

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Adjustable-Signal-Trigger-Delay-Turn-Off-Delay-Timer-Switch-Relay-Module-/262662293474

It sells for less than $5

Here is a quick drawing of a mod that should work.

You would have to connect it to the vend solenoid, and add 2 other things, 1 a 12v adapter to power it and a
ac relay to act as the trigger switch. That relay receives it's power from the vend solenoid. When it closes, it acts like a momentary switch to trigger the timer.
The timer is adjustable from 0 to 25 seconds.

The are other off delay relays, modules out there, some may be self contained.

As setup, deposit money to vend, vend solenoid triggers external timer relay closing contacts which triggers timer
Timer module relay controls machine light for set time, turning it on, which exceeds the momentary pulse to Vend solenoid

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: