SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 01:30:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago November Show  (Read 10134 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 10:16:03 am »

We'll be heading down there on Thursday as well, our usually Outside only setup ..
going to be a lot different this year as they have 3 different staging areas and set up locations..
Looks like outside vendors only in one parking lot on West Side Parking lot, and everyone else setting up for 3 day they are staging on the north end of building in multiple lots?

seems very scattered around but we'll see I guess?

not sure of any plans to meet on Thursday night ? as seems like everyone is staying at different hotels across the area?

but if someone comes up with a central meeting spot, let us know..

this year we may have to just "Feel it out" and get to know the flow..  see ya all Thursday.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Bireleys1

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 01:20:13 pm »

FYI, This is a response email I received today about Friday from the people that run the Chicagoland show.

"There will still be outside sales on Friday, however, the new location is gated, so everyone who comes on Friday will require the 3-day early buyer's pass for $50.  We are selling tickets on Thursday from 8:30-5 and on Friday starting at 5am in the lobby of the Event Center.  General admission is Saturday & Sunday for $7 each day." 

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 03:44:28 pm »

"There will still be outside sales on Friday, however, the new location is gated, so everyone who comes on Friday will require the 3-day early buyer's pass for $50.  We are selling tickets on Thursday from 8:30-5 and on Friday starting at 5am in the lobby of the Event Center.  General admission is Saturday & Sunday for $7 each day." 

Well that's going to cut attendance by quite a bit!  If they had enacted this charge a year ago they wouldn't have needed this new larger location.

Glen
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:38 pm »

I’ll be there, but not happy about the $50 fee. That’s crazy. Better be some cup machines for me to buy! Lol.

Brian  happydrinkers
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 10:09:45 am »

Yeah this is really going to suck I think? as general foot traffic will be WAY down... hopefully I'm wrong.. but $50.00 just to walk around..
as if they are not making enough just on the show itself..

Many of us can't afford or have time to set up for a 3 day show... so the swap meet side of things was always nice.. we'll see..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:32 am »

Heard there is snow in the forecast also... so safe travels all.. hope to see you folks there...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Bireleys1

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 12:30:53 pm »

I have been going on Friday's for many many years. This will be the first time I won't be going on Friday but I will go on Saturday to check out the new location. I just can't see spending the $50 being that its at a new location for the first time without knowing vendor turn out. It will be a bummer for a lot of people who are not aware of this.
I just noticed that it is mentioned on there website under FAQ.
www.chicagolandshow.com/faq/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:55:29 pm by Bireleys1 » Logged
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 11:26:58 pm »

I was intending to go until I read Erics post. Looked up the web site and read that it cost fifty bills to walk the lot. Im out. Not going this weekend either.

A lot of stuff.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 10:20:37 am »

Ended up going on Saturday for a bit with my family. Its the same distance from my house compared to Pheasant Run, but much easier and faster to get to.

As far as the insides of the show it was nice. It looked like there were less vendors but it could be that the room was larger and more spaced out. Theres also a concession area. Same stuff as usual. I would not go back inside because there is nothing I would want because of the inside prices. I wouldn’t mind checking out the parking lot but I would only go if I had cash to buy something. It wouldn’t be worth fifty bucks for me just to walk around.

I saw some collectors that I chat with but no one wandering around from this site. I did talk to Rod to say hello and get his take on it. He liked that he was able to set up on Thursday so wheeling and dealing could be done on Friday. He can chime in on his experience. Overall there was a decent crowd and I went late after I finished plastering my frontroom ceiling. I needed a break and this was a good opportunity to check out the new building. I would like to check it out next spring on a Friday.

What was everybody’s elses opinion?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:42:54 pm by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 04:47:56 pm »

COLD! we drove up Thursday evening... got there about 7:00-ish... I didn't hear of a dinner till it was too late... Thank you to Rod and Janet for giving me a 2019 calendar! Love those!

Paid the $50 for the early morning lot... maybe it was the layout but didn't seem to be as many set up outside as like the Pheasant Run lot... and was dangerous! the lot was gravel
and packed down with ice and snow.. you could have skated on some of it... so take golf cleats next year if there's snow... one guy got ran over by a van in the early morning in the
lot... yes.. ran over... heard he broke his leg... foot was facing the other way.. also heard he didn't want to go to a hospital just wanted it set and some crutches so he could continue hunting
at the show... guess he wanted his $50 worth! Oo

Did see a lot of the gang walking around Brian, John, Marvin, Matt, Farmer Dave and Neil... Joey was set up inside selling as well as outside he even had his family there helping out.
Rod and Janet had a great spot up by the concession area.. Janet I'm sure had something to do with that (She's always taking care of Rod)

The weather getting there was bad in areas... white knuckled it in a few places in IL getting there.... heard the same about Indiana as well so maybe the weather had something to do with the show.
Seemed there were a lot of vendors, some new to me... but also seemed like a lot of vacant vendor spots.. some regular show vendors not there like the decal folks for gumball machines, the chrome vendors not there (or at least I didn't see them). The building was huge... nice to see everything in one building... not as crowded and compact like Pheasant Run where you get smashed and bumped running into each other .. the isles were wide... so the building with all the room and concession area was nice. May take a time or two going to get use to it. I'm sure things will be tweaked... and can't rely on the weather... If it were sunny things would have been totally different.. just need to give it time. Was glad I went, always good to see everyone. Hope everyone found some great pieces... I met a vendor and am trying to locate a NK carrier he had... So that is a plus.. always good to make new contacts. Sure others will comment and hope some took pics...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: