SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 02:17:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Add a timer to shut off at night?  (Read 2938 times)
Rob_Feature

« on: April 23, 2018, 07:51:53 am »

Hiya everyone!
I have a 60s Westinghouse and it sits on my porch right outside my bedroom...at night its become annoying to hear it kicking on and off (not to mention the lights, which I could more easily disable), plus the constant hum of the fan....about 10 feet from the bed.  I'm thinking about putting a timer on it to shut off every night around bedtime.

I'm not necessarily doing this for 'energy efficiency'.  I've read a post or two here about how it'll potentially take longer during the day to get things cool again (due to it being off all night).  With the 10 hours or so I'd have it off at night, I think it might be a wash in terms of energy savings...but even if it's not, I'm not real worried about that.

I'm mostly concerned about any damage to the machine...could the timer cause any mechanical problems?  (I'm not concerned so much with 'wear and tear' of it cooling more often.  Frankly this thing is old and not in great shape, I'm not trying to preserve a masterpiece!)  It doesn't seem likely to cause issues but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:53:38 am by Rob_Feature » Logged

---------

-Bob
SodaNoob w/ a Westinghouse WB78 & Cavalier USS-8-64
Robgirard64

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:48:56 pm »

I do the same thing with my vendo 44 with a timer.  Comes on at 8 am and shuts off around 8 pm.  No problems and been doing it for 4 years.
Rob_Feature

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 07:01:54 am »

Exactly what I want to hear, thank you!  Any recommendations on a cheap timer to make it happen?  I have one rated for 10amps but thinking that's not enough(?)

---------

-Bob
SodaNoob w/ a Westinghouse WB78 & Cavalier USS-8-64
Rick_T88
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:26:11 am »

I know this is an older thread, but I was just trolling the site.  Is it good for the beer to keep going through temperature changes daily?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: