SMC Discussion Areas
April 25, 2024, 05:16:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excessive Frosting & Constant Running in Ideal 55 Slider?  (Read 2822 times)
BobsSoda

« on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:39 am »

I'm a newbie to this forum (but not to soda machines in general), and am now dealing with some problems with my first Ideal 55 Slider machine! (Note that when I purchased it about a month ago, it was completely restored, and I was told that the cooling system had also been gone through, as well as recharged). I've been keeping it running around 40-degrees.

First, in spite of trying 3 different thermostat-with-capillary-probe units, the compressor and fan are always running full-time. There are no changes in temperature when you turn the thermostat dial either up or down; they only seem to work as an on/off switch. While it is surely running all the time, it does also appear that the fan will run steady for a while, but then also speed-up and/or slow-down during this constantly-running cycle. (It reminds of of the old fluid-filled "fan clutches" that were found on older cars; the fan speed on this thing seems to change as the thing runs, sometimes almost coming to a stop; then goes back on again... and no, the fan blade is not loose). Anyway, this does not seem "normal" to me, unless the cooling system is actually controlled by the fan speed changing constantly?

Secondly, I've had a major problem with frost forming, along the top of the box, as well as on the insides of the box (see photos). Since these photos were taken, I have replaced the side door seals, as well as the top opening gasket, which seems to have helped reduce the amount of frosting by about 50%; however, the buildup of a smaller amount (but still unacceptable) of frost along the top of the inside (front and rear) continues to be a problem. I've performed the "light test", as well as the "paper test" (sliding a thin piece of paper between the lid and the gaskets), and it seems to be fairly tight seals, on both the top lid and the side door.

Any ideas, as to (a) the continuous running of the system, and/or (b) the ongoing frost problem?

Thanks in advance for any "expert" insight you might be able to provide!

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:11:52 pm »

Welcome Bob.
        Since you have eliminated the probability of a bad thermostat, there are 2 things that could be giving you a problem.
        Your capillary tube is wound up and slides into a tube that is soldered to the inside liner.
        If either that tube breaks loose or the cap tube doesn't make good contact, the switch will never sense when to shut the system down.
        If necessary, drill a 1/8" hole through the bottom corner of the liner and through the bottom of the machine.
        Unwind the cap tube and slide it into the liner, then making direct contact with the slider rack at the back wall.

As far as the fan motor, I would rule out the possibility of power interruption as it runs inline with your compressor, which is obviously running great.
      You could remove the fan motor and oil the shaft, then disconnect the 2 fan motor wires from the compressor and run them directly to 110 volts to test.

Glen
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:16:05 pm »

You said you had an Ideal 55, your picture shows a 35!  happydrinkers

R.C. Cola?

Glen
BobsSoda

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »

Thanks, MoonDawg, for your input! I will look into those suggestions.

The capillary tube currently goes up into a 6" deep "pipe" that is embedded in the wall of the lower part of the box (the so-called "storage area"), which is open in the bottom and easily accessible underneath the box (where all the compressor equipment is)... which is how it was configured when I received it.

Also, I'm pretty sure it is a "55", and not a "35", as, (a) it is labeled as 55 on the rear, and (b), in looking at photos of a 35 online, the 35 appears to be very much narrower than mine is. (See the enclosed photo of my actual machine). My machine easily holds around 45 bottles, in its rack. Please check the photo and tell me what you think.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 04:07:59 pm »

My mistake!

Nice cooler  drinking

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: