SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 09:01:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jacobs 56 freezing up  (Read 4369 times)
Robgirard64

« on: May 03, 2018, 12:12:57 am »

Thanks for the new member add.  I am lucky to have this original Jacobs 56.  It's original and in fantastic shape which is how I like it.  This is my 3rd original machine.  I have a vendo 44 and a vendorlator 27....very happy man.

The Jacobs works great...fends and cools...except it freezes.  When I got it the thermostat was set on 3.  It got cold...really cold...like 32 f...with a couple of water drips in the lower unit.  So I turned it to 1...and checked it in 20 min and the temperature was 22 f...way more water and the upper unit was visibly icing up.  So I unplugged the 56 and used paper towel to catch the water.

Question...what is the best way to start a test of the thermostat...start at "Off", run it for 10 minutes, move it to 1, then 2 etc.  Or should I start at 3 and go to 4, 5 etc. As the first test revealed going lower in numbers got colder.  Or should I just buy a new thermostat?  I think that is a waste because it is working...sort of.  Help!  Thanks
Zerbie
10 Cent Member

Bob

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:50:10 pm »

I can't help you with your problem. But wanted to say welcome and congrats on the Jacobs 56. They are a great machine. I got one back in 2016. Have fun with it!

Jacobs 56 Restored
Vendo 81D Previous "resturbished"  - New Refurbishment in process
Vendo 81B - restoration in process
VMC Pepsi 81 - in line for restoration
Robgirard64

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:19:30 pm »

Thanks Zerbie...appreciate the welcome.  After more investigation and playing...I discovered that "Off" is actually not off...if I keep turning the dial...it goes to 7, then 6 and off seems to now be at 5.  When I turned it on and in 10 minute incrimates, the temperature went in 10 minutes to 40 deg, then in 10 more minutes to 30 deg, then 10 minutes went to 28.4 then next 10 minutes it was 24.8 deg, then the next 10 minutes it was 24.8 deg.  It seems to hold at 24.8 deg and gets no colder.  What is the optimimum compartment temperature.  Will product freeze at this temperature?  I should say that the 56 was empty during the test.  I am pleased that it isn't a run away temperature problem.

Thoughts?  Thanks...Rob
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 06:34:19 am »

Welcome Rob!

Sounds like you may have a faulty thermostat...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 10:51:21 am »

Have you re-positioned the capillary tube that comes off the thermostat?
It is acting like it is too far away from the evaporator.

Glen
Robgirard64

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 11:30:02 pm »

Thanks Jim...I am wondering the same.
Robgirard64

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 11:36:03 pm »

Thanks Glen, I checked the thermostat...the thermostat runs beside the evaporator and terminates in the lower cabinet where the pre cooled bottles would be stored.  Should the end be in the upper cabinet near or closer to the evaporator?  I can try that if that is what you mean.  Thanks everyone for reaching out...it’s appreciated...Rob
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 10:57:11 am »

Should the end be in the upper cabinet near or closer to the evaporator? 

The end should be making firm contact with the evaporator.

Glen
Robgirard64

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:27:52 pm »

Thanks Glen, I will try that...thanks for the tip.  Really appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: