SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 11:00:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wood door frame repair  (Read 3216 times)
felix55

« on: March 10, 2018, 07:51:07 pm »

I see that the inside bottom of my 6CV door has some rust that I can take care of.  The problem lies under the wood frame there.  I see the door skin is folded over the  wood frame.  My question is how do I remove the bottom of the wood frame to take care of the rust underneath the wood?  I might have to replace that wood piece as well since one screw came out way too easy.  I really don't want to damage anything.  I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:05:18 pm by felix55 » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:37 pm »

You'll have to disassemble the wood frame...
just take a lot of photos .. start removing the screws and the sides , then the bottom piece will come out.

if the door frame is shot, which by the amount of rust, I'm guessing it is pretty spongy... Funtronics sells a reproduction set of wood for the door, and we'll worth it if yours is shot... it will help sturdy up the door and be more solid...

if your investing time and money into the restoration... might as go all in and fix all the bad stuff.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
felix55

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:32:11 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  I should have probably mentioned this is the large door for the unit.  The small door was too far gone and I found an excellent replacement already.  As for the large door frame, it seems only the bottom piece of wood (pic) is the only one rotting.  I started removing the outer screws and noticed I might be able to remove just the bottom piece by slightly bending back the side pieces of wood.  Really not as bad as it looks.  In my opinion I still think I can keep it mostly original. 
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:43:49 pm »

The wood frame can cause headaches  darn

This is a 110 I did a few years ago that had too much water on the floor. As you can see it rotted out the wood.
What's worse is that is the only cross structure supporting the bottom of the liner. This caused the main door to sag big time.

In the second picture shows it being supported with green wood as well as adding 3/4" angle iron.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: