SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 09:25:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier tub floor reproduction  (Read 15339 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: January 20, 2018, 08:46:57 pm »

Does anyone have a good source to reproduce the tub floor on a Cavalier 72?    This is only the 2nd machine I have done and before on my 56 square top I had to beg and plead with a HVAC duct work manufacturer to make one for me and it cost over $100.   While the cost is high I don't think I will be able to get them to do another one.   Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:41:40 pm »

How bad is your old tub?  Unless it is a complete basket case, you should be able to repair it.  I bought a Cavalier 96 that was missing a lot of parts several years ago.  The main thing I wanted was the refrigeration unit.  The tub bottom is the same size as the Cavalier 72.  I was going to cut it out and use it on a Cavalier 72 that I am restoring, but decided that it was easier to repair the original.  I think my painter has gotten rid of the 96 tub by now.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:18:10 pm »

Hi Vendo81,  thanks for the response.  I have not technically pulled it out, but it is not looking good at this point. 
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:17:58 pm »

First , maybe try another HVAC shop... ours around me loves projects like this... takes them away from doing duct work.

2ndly... if they don't want to make a whole new Piece... just measure what you need, have them cut a sheet of galvanized and then layer the old pan with caulking, lay this new one over the old pan and seal the edges with seam sealer or caulk, drill in your new holes and drain hole, and  install the  Cooling unit and you should be good to go.

or if your powder coating , then tack weld it in place , get it powdered and fill any other voids with seam sealer..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:12:00 pm »

Thanks John, those are some good ideas.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:43:43 pm »

Hi Vendo81,  thanks for the response.  I have not technically pulled it out, but it is not looking good at this point.  

I would get a spot weld cutter and drill out all the spot welds and remove the pan shelf in one piece .  Than take it to local HVAC shop .  I made ( 3 ) for my Vendo 56 for $75 with tax.  I took the cabinet with me and the spot welded the new one in for free.

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,21240.0.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:13:13 am by Slapshot42 » Logged
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 08:41:48 pm »

Thanks Jared.  That is sort of what I did for my 56 squaretop.  The problem was I had to beg them to make even one and they charged me $100 for it.   Maybe I can get a slightly better deal to have them make me a few more, but that is if I can even get them to do it. 
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 01:08:11 pm »

Thanks Jared.  That is sort of what I did for my 56 squaretop.  The problem was I had to beg them to make even one and they charged me $100 for it.   Maybe I can get a slightly better deal to have them make me a few more, but that is if I can even get them to do it. 

Do you only have ( 1 ) local HVAC shop ??
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:58:39 pm »

No we have multiple and I tried a few last time and only got one to do it (which is all I need).  I know there are a few more so I will still try that route again. 
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 12:57:07 am »

No we have multiple and I tried a few last time and only got one to do it (which is all I need).  I know there are a few more so I will still try that route again. 

Knock all the spot welds and get it out and complete !  If you need a few mail them to me and get a few made !!
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 09:33:47 am »

Thanks Jared.  I will keep that in mind if I have no luck locally.  Really appreciate your help.
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 03:59:33 pm »

https://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/all-cs-72/tub-floor-cavalier-cs-72-and-cs-96
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 04:27:28 pm »

Thanks SodaHunter, but this is actually the tub insert and not the replacement tub floor.   I actually have this in the machine now, but want to replace the entire tub floor.   I did actually follow up with both Funtronics and Soda Jerk Works to see if they actually reproduced the tubs, but they don't. 
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 02:28:44 pm »

Thanks SodaHunter, but this is actually the tub insert and not the replacement tub floor.   I actually have this in the machine now, but want to replace the entire tub floor.   I did actually follow up with both Funtronics and Soda Jerk Works to see if they actually reproduced the tubs, but they don't. 

You need the entire liner ?  This. Is were pics come in handy ...
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »

I will get some pics.  I only need the tub floor. 
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 12:32:28 am »

I getting confused.  Oo

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 02:12:38 pm »

Sorry for any confusion, I will post some pictures.   Bottom line is I need the tub floor (hope I am calling that right).  The piece where the evaporator sits.  I don't need the entire liner as only the floor has issues. 
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 01:53:07 pm »

If it’s just where the evaporator sits I would do like mentioned before, sit a piece of flat metal down and chalk it up if that’s only way .

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »

If it’s just where the evaporator sits I would do like mentioned before, sit a piece of flat metal down and chalk it up if that’s only way .

The correct way is to remove the evap shelf that is rusted out , and replace it with a new one !
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 09:32:07 pm »

I have actually had the entire refrigeration system remove and restored by our member Ken Barrett (kbareit) and it looks awesome.  Now I want to restore the rest of the internals.   It starts with the tub floor because it has some many holes in it and has for years.    No idea what the cabinet floor is going to look like when I get the liner out.
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 10:06:42 pm »

Please post photos!
You are killing us! LOL

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 12:41:14 am »

Technically the evap. sits on the liner which below that is would with support shelf of the main body .

If you haven’t removed the liner yet I’m assume you are talking about the liner .  Chances are if the liner shelf is rusted the main shelf on the body below that is probably rusted .
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:53:21 am by Slapshot42 » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 03:36:51 pm »

yes he is talking about the "TUB LINER".. he has yet to see what the cabinet floor looks like as he has not removed the liner..

as many have said and he'll soon discover .. he'll have to replace both most likely.

I'd go back to my original comment ..

good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 06:11:12 pm »

yes he is talking about the "TUB LINER".. he has yet to see what the cabinet floor looks like as he has not removed the liner..

as many have said and he'll soon discover .. he'll have to replace both most likely.

I'd go back to my original comment ..

good luck!

Nicely put together we too can read the comnents!
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 07:32:39 pm »

That is correct, I am talking about the tub liner floor.    Here is a picture, but as you can see I currently have the insert offered by funtronics.  My thought though is to remove the liner, remove the liner floor, replace the liner floor with a reproduction and then powder coat the entire liner.    I am sure once I pull the liner out the cabinet floor will not be in good shape, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. 
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 12:10:33 pm »

I'll bet your drain tube is probably shot too.  Cavalier's design never seemed to work that well with the straight tube and the cap with counterweight below.  I am curious how other restorers handle the drain tube issue.  Do you replace the rusted out tube and keep everything else original or go with a completely different design?
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 08:23:19 pm »

SodaShopNick, once you get the floor out send picture and measurements, I might be able to help.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 08:42:55 pm »

Yarochrehc, thanks and will do.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 01:59:32 pm »

Update:  I was able to get the tub liner floor out and brought it back to the same place I went to before (HVAC duct-work company) and they agreed to reproduce it again.  They are probably going to charge me the same $100 as before, but they did a great job last time so I am going to have them do it again.   It should be ready later in the week and I will post a picture then.  In the meantime here is a picture of how it looks now (it is in even worse shape then the picture). 
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 03:15:51 pm »

Very Good!
Money well spent!

My six cents,

Jim

SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 08:45:28 pm »

Picked up the new liner floor today.  They did a good job.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: