SMC Discussion Areas
April 24, 2024, 05:14:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beer signs  (Read 3737 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: December 11, 2017, 08:21:25 am »

Last week a friend at work gave me some beer signs.  I started cleaning them yesterday.  I finished cleaning the Hamms "TV" sign and need to replace the film insert.  I did a few internet searches and found one seller on Ebay and a few other people who sell parts on other web sites.  I'm just curious if anyone has ever replaced any Hamms beer sign parts, plastics, scrolls, films, etc.  If you have, who's "the guy" with the best looking parts?

Thanks,

Larry.

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:40:58 am »

Larry
I've worked on quite a few of the Hamm's signs...
as far as the parts, most are all the same as I believe a group of guys from the Hamm's collector club went in together to get some parts made, and then split them up equally to use or sell.
so I think most of the parts are all the same... due to cost of artwork/molds ,etc..

I've used THBear and Brewskilights and have had no issues...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:18:15 am »

Thanks John!  I saw  Brewskilights and their parts looked great.  I thought they were a bit pricey, but I still think a candy bar cost a quarter. 

A guy at work just gave me a lot of free stuff including two of the 1950 ripplers with the scrolling camping scene, one has a small crack in the frame the other one is missing the logos.  I haven't opened them up yet, or tried to turn them on.  I'll do that after the holidays.  Anyway, I know I can get one nice original out of them and I can repair the other one with parts.

I also got a TV rippler and I just need the screen replaced. A couple Miller signs, clocks, sconces,lamps, etc,  I figure I need about $150.00 in parts.  Not a bad investment for what I'll eventually end up with.

I always wanted the 50's rippler but they are expensive.  Now I just need the 60's rippler and I completely will be out of wall space.  Time to build more walls.  laugh

A lot of stuff.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:26:50 am »

One other note, these are nicotine drenched.  At least the TV one was.  I used Simple Green to clean the nicotine off.  I was wondering if you have ever used any cleaners on your signs? If so, what did you use?  I am worried about destroying the Hamms logo piece?  The white plastic pieces on the left.  I don't want to remove the silk screened print while I clean it.

Any advice on cleaning the sign?

Thanks again John for the response.

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 12:28:50 pm »

WOW... Two Sceneramas and a TV Rippler for Free... you made out well..

as far as the sceneramas, you mentioned simple green.. I too have used that primarily and works pretty well.. you'll notice however that once you clean up the Back of the white insert, and some have a white plexi piece as well.. you can clean those up really well or even replace the white plexi and the image will look much better... if the nicotine stain is on the front, like you said, just have to be carefully... I just use soap and water on that part lightly...

they do make this new insert piece now too.. and look good , pure white... and I don't think hurts the value much..sure it's not original, but it's also not smoky dirty off white..

I'd just oil the rollers, make sure the motor is working, they can be replaced and both suppliers sell new motors for around 50 bucks.. 

I have never used on of the replacement "Scenes' but have seen them and the look really nice..

Great score... merry Christmas to you!!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 01:03:19 pm »

Thanks John. Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

A lot of stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: