SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 05:45:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal 35 Compressor issue  (Read 3730 times)
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« on: November 20, 2017, 10:32:45 pm »

Hey guys,

Picked up a nice Ideal 35 slider from a local antique store for a horse trade of a couple of old neons I had laying around.  I just got done replacing the fan motor and all the wiring and am having some issues.  The compressor will kick on for about 10-15 seconds then cut out (was working before I started fiddling).  I bought a new wiring harness from funtronics and don't have the thermostat "in" the machine, but I assumed that doesn't matter since it still needs to cool.  Any thoughts on what's kicking the compressor off?  Is there a replacement part somewhere for the relay switch that is screwed to the compressor? I'm 99% sure I have the wiring correct... Any help is appreciated.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:03:10 pm »

Your compressor is short-cycling probably because of the age of the compressor motor itself, as they age the tend to draw more power & the the original start-run relay trips out more often because it’s showing it’s age a well, you can try an external replacement type called a 3-in-one starter/booster, they’re pretty easy to hook up & they can help you get by with an older compressor.

Be aware that if the compressor is too far along the old path to an electrical retirement then the 3-in-one may not be a long term solution, in which case you’ll need to replace it ( the compressor), but it’s the cheapest “fix” you can try at this point.

Also note that your Ideal 35 is a small machine & it probably has a smaller compressor size of 1/5 HP or a 1/8 HP (horse power) unit, so get the correct size 3-in-one to match, don’t go with a 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 HP  rated units as they will just burn up you start winding in your compressor quickly & its on its last leg anyway.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:06:44 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:20:23 pm »

Thanks Johnie G... I'll pick one of these up and give it a whirl.  Hope I can get a couple of years out of this compressor still!!
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »

Johnie, is there a wiring diagram for the 3n1? It has 5 wires and not sure where they all go...  Also is it possible the system is undercharged??  Thanks again for all the help.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 12:42:07 am »

Johnie, is there a wiring diagram for the 3n1? It has 5 wires and not sure where they all go...  Also is it possible the system is undercharged??  Thanks again for all the help.

3 wires are for the relay.
2 wired are from the 2 prong plug from wall .  AC Power to relay, 3 leads from relay to compressor ..
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:07:44 pm »

Slapshot, thanks for the help, but I'm afraid i need it spelled out a bit more.... hopefull  I've attached a picture of the compressor and relay and am wondering what wires (1 red, 1 white, 1 black, 2 power black) from the 3n1 go to which spot (numbered)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »

When you changed the wiring, could you have possibly crossed # 2 and 3?

Disconnect terminals 4 and 5 and lead each to your 2 black wires.

Johnie did this for us a long time ago. http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,7831.0.html

Glen
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 06:24:24 pm »

Moon - I'm quite sure I didn't cross the wires when I replaced #2 & #3... I just replaced them with leftover wire I had so the color of the wire in the picture doesn't matter (black/white) i don't think.  #4 & #5 are coming from the ac power/thermostat and the condenser fan with #4 being the hot and #5 being neutral, so with what you're saying I should hook up the 2 black power wires from the 3n1 to these two ports and from the post that you linked to the port in the picture  would be - #1 is common (black on 3n1), #2 is run (red on 3n1) and #3 is start (white on 3n1)?  Sorry for all the help needed.. just want to make sure I don't screw it up and get it hooked up so i can continue with body work and paint...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: