SMC Discussion Areas
April 24, 2024, 10:16:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 81B Condensate Update and Parts Help!  (Read 3187 times)
taongisurvivor

« on: September 05, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »

I just returned from a 24-hour trip to the condo to work on the excessive condensate problem with the Vendo 81B that was located *inside* the condo (filling up the condensate drip pan every 24 hours even though the condo AC should have been pulling most of the humidity out of the air).  I took with me a glass door gasket, adhesive foam gasket for the cabinet body, and a replacement plastic liner for the door; the main gasket looked almost new so I elected to re-use that one.  I went by myself so I had no assistance (big mistake).

First, the adhesive foam gasket was more than shot and was stubborn to remove.  I was finally able to scrape the crud off with a razor blade scraper, and using Goo Gone to remove the residual junk.  Took about an hour and the replacement adhesive gasket from FunTronics was perfect.

Second, I elected to remove the door so I needed to disconnect the wire leading to the door light.  The wires were brittle and in bad condition, but I elected not to use lamp cord to replace because of the terminals (I did not bring a soldering iron with me).  I have ordered a complete wiring harness to do it right.

Third, when I laid the door horizontal I realized that the plastic liner was only held to the door via the 12 screws around the glass door.  The plastic around Every.  Single.  One.  Of the screw holes around the perimeter was missing.  Once I removed the 12 screws around the glass door I was able to lift off the plastic liner.  Most of the screws were shot so I purchased stainless steel replacements with stainless steel washers.  The FunTronics plastic door was a *perfect* fit; all screw holes lined-up perfectly.  The fiberglass insulation was a mystery; half was well done and half was missing.  Once I removed all of the insulation, I had to vacuum out several cups of sand.  There was sand everywhere.  I would imagine someone did a paint job in the past and sand blasted the door and failed to clean up.  Pitiful.  Once I cleaned everything up, I used R19 insulation and covered all of the little nooks and crannies. 

Here's where things started to go South.  Fourth, when I removed the glass door frame to replace the gasket, the frame fell out of the unit.  I was not expecting this but I managed to catch the frame with my foot so no glass was busted, but the actuator lever collar that attaches to the crank rod broke.  This actuator lever comes in several pieces that includes a collar that slips over the crank rod and is held in place with a pin.  This collar has a 3-inch flange on one end that is riveted to a 24-inch long flat arm so that the joint is allowed to articulate.  At the other end of this lever are two captive screws that attach to another L-Shaped lever and can be adjusted.  I called FunTronics and the one they have (Vendo 81D) looks nothing like my broke one.  I also went to Soda Jerks and they don't have anything listed.  Does ANYONE have a used one or can you point me in the right direction???

Fifth, when I got ready to start assembly, the placement of the bottle door gasket was in question.  The old gasket was laid on top of the door with a screw and washer holding the gasket to the door frame and the glass frame.  So, from the outside in was the entire gasket, door body, then the glass door frame in direct contact with the door body (metal to metal).  I know I did not explain that well, but this did not look right.  I would have thought that the flat part of the gasket (with the screw holes in it) would have gone between the door body and the glass door frame so that from the outside in would have been the sealing surface of the gasket, door body, lower part of the gasket, then the glass door frame.  Anyway, after messing with it, I put it back together the way I thought it should be, not the way it was.  Which was is right???

Sixth, same/same with the main door gasket and the plastic liner.  Since all screw holes were missing, the door gasket was in direct contact with the door body.  I would have thought that from the inside out would have been main gasket sealing surface, plastic liner, flat surface of the door gasket, then the door body.  This is the way I put it back together (only using 1/5th the number of screws since I have to take it all back apart once I find a lever).  I did a half-ass job on the wiring and fired the unit back up and let it run for ten hours.  Cools perfectly and very, very, very little condensate.  So, if I had not had broken the actuator lever I would have been finished with that job, but no.  Did I do it right with the gasket??

Last, the plastic door liner had a 12-inch long metal L-shaped bracket that at one time was attached to the inside of the liner at a downward angle and seemed to act as a guide for the actuator lever to rest against.  This bracket was laying inside the door, but I have no idea if the lip of the bracket was up or down??  Does anyone have any clue???

I had planned to take pics but the camera battery was dead.

Comments, Please!!  Does anyone have a used actuator lever???
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:43:05 pm »

Sounds like your doing things right .the only thing that goes on the door liner is the rubber door gasket ,and it should have a flat lip that goes behind the liner on the out side of the liner is the semi flat with like 5-6 lines on it . You have to fold it back to install the screws .

As for the bottle door (the one you open to pull bottle out ) it's simple ? Remove by removing the 4 screws that hold it to the main cabinet door . Then there should have been the screws ( NO washers)you mention Around the frame including the hinge . The 4 Stainless glass fram pieces have holes holes that line up with the door frame you should have only had to install the foam and rubber gasket and install the stainless piece to hold it together to re-install it in the frame with the vent hole at bottom . And them re install it to the main door again .

Now there Is a rubber seal that on the Main cabinet were the door rest when closed and you have to flip over the edges to gain access to them . That is the door light frame attachments screws . That will loosen the hole assembly 
 ( is this the part that fell and broke the linkage ?)
The rubber seal installs with the flip over on the outside and the flat side between the main cabinet frame and the frame for the light .

As for the part that broke a picture would have been great !! As one part mounts to the coin mech shaft then there's a linkage that goes to the actuator and another lever mounts there . I'm sure some has a picture here to confirm the parts I have some piece's that may be them but I can't confirm until you can .

Hold on Someone will provide Pictures  smile

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:27:42 pm »

Hold on Someone will provide Pictures  smile

Drum roll, tense anticipation...........

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
taongisurvivor

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:18:39 am »

Very frustrating.....  I've tried several times to upload a hand-drawn image of the lever, but each time the system tells me the pic is too large.  The last time the pic was 180 KB but it would not allow.  I just converted to Windows 10, and I absolutely hate that OS.  At any rate, according to the FunTronics folks, the type they sell is for Vendo 81 C & D.  If yours looks different, then it's what I need since I have a Vendo 81 B.  If you are willing to sell, send me a price to include FedEx Next Day to Gordon.jones.civ@mail.mil and I will PayPal you the amount immediately.  I am willing to take the risk of the piece being wrong.  You can also call me at 256.679.4388 to discuss.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:54:02 am »

Very frustrating.....  I've tried several times to upload a hand-drawn image of the lever, but each time the system tells me the pic is too large.  The last time the pic was 180 KB but it would not allow.  I just converted to Windows 10, and I absolutely hate that OS.

Perhaps this post will help as there is a recommendation for an online app to Shrink Pictures
Resizing Photos

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: