SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 08:37:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome strips removal  (Read 11152 times)
felix55

« on: August 19, 2017, 08:53:20 pm »

I want to check how bad the rust is under the chrome strips on my 6 case vertical.  Does anyone know how to remove them without damaging them? help
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:36:49 pm »

They are held on by clips that are held on by nuts.
   Both the door liner and the inner tub need to be removed to access the nuts.
   I have never seen these stainless trim pieces retain enough water to cause rust though.

Glen
felix55

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:49 pm »

Some surface rust above the bands, so I think there must be some underneath too.  
Have you seen many 1958 6 case verticals?  All the info I have found on these units say that production stopped in 1956.  I only ask because it seems you have delt with these models before.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:59:41 pm by felix55 » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:04:36 am »

I guess we would like to verify you have correctly identified your machine as a 6 case vertical (Free vend) machine, or a Vendo 110 (coin operated) machine.

your serial number tag (if original) indicates it's a Vendo 110, which had production dates from 1952-1959

your serial would match a production date of 1956 for sure.

as far as the stainless steel strips (they are not chrome), only can be removed once you dissassemble the machine as noted by another member.

I don't think you have rust there, just looks like some "Gunk"... that could be leaned up with some cleaner and a plastic edge scraper?  (if your not removing the SS Strips)..

Hope this helps?

John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
felix55

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »

Thanks for your reply John.  I'm pretty sure it's rust, but I'll have it apart this winter and know for sure. 
Mine is a E110L.  The E means it is a non coin vend.  Another owner of this unit, Lancer, also has a June 58 model.  I have also found two others on the web, which strangely also have the june 58 in the serial number.  I know the L denotes a change or year of manufacture.  I'm just curious because every listing I've seen on this model's run only goes to 1956.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 05:18:12 pm »

Another early model followed me home yesterday but it was never assigned an ID tag.
         This is an original machine and as you can see there were no holes for one.

Not sure if we should leave the Tony Lama sticker on it.  Cool  I kind of like it but it has nothing to do with beverages.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:43:42 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:08:34 pm »

Glen,
Not to question authenticity, but why would an original machine have a water release decal for the "Have a Coke" lettering on the sides, and not stenciled on like the others?  more or less just curious..
nice looking machine either way.

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 04:08:55 pm »

I guess we would like to verify you have correctly identified your machine as a 6 case vertical (Free vend) machine, or a Vendo 110 (coin operated) machine.

your serial number tag (if original) indicates it's a Vendo 110, which had production dates from 1952-1959

your serial would match a production date of 1956 for sure.

as far as the stainless steel strips (they are not chrome), only can be removed once you dissassemble the machine as noted by another member.

I don't think you have rust there, just looks like some "Gunk"... that could be leaned up with some cleaner and a plastic edge scraper?  (if your not removing the SS Strips)..

Hope this helps?

John

No idea then... mystery...

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 04:25:01 pm »

Not to question authenticity, but why would an original machine have a water release decal for the "Have a Coke" lettering on the sides, and not stenciled on like the others? 

It's strange, the white letters are actually printed on a red backing.

Glen
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:45 am »

It's strange, the white letters are actually printed on a red backing.

Tony Lama decal is cool.  I'd leave it, especially if it's got age.  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: