SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 08:18:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coke Vendo 81D Restoration  (Read 5884 times)
Cameron

« on: August 19, 2017, 06:15:12 pm »

Although I have owned restored machines in the past, I will be starting my first full restoration on a Coke Vendo 81D that I recently purchased. Any advice on how I should restore the machine will be appreciated. I will be getting qoutes to do the paint and body work. Is there anything I should watch out for when getting qoutes?
Thanks,
Cameron

Cameron
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:40:17 pm »

That has a complicated coin mechanism. Send it out to Tom Barnes at the Coin Drop shop. 608 908-7202

602 908-7202   (thanks)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:40:03 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 06:52:28 pm »

wrong area code, tom is 602-908-7202.  Eric at Global compressors does great work on the refrigeration unit.  He is extremely helpful.  if this is your first machine, take pictures as you go, so you remember where the parts go when you reassemble.  On my first one i individually bagged and tagged each part.  Funtronics has every part you need, including a part kit that sells every screw you will need.  good luck with the restoration. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:54:09 am »

Ditto on the screw kit.   An absolute must in my opinion

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Cameron

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 02:28:56 am »

Thank you for the advice. I will call Tom for the coin mech.

The machine still gets cold. How can I tell if the refrigeration unit needs to be sent out for service?

Cameron
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 04:58:27 pm »

I usually buy a couple of plastic parts organizers from Lower or Home Depot to hold all the little parts as I remove them.

Don't throw anything out until you are done with the restoration.
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 06:14:18 pm »

if it gets cold, maybe the only thing you need is a new wiring harness, and to clean it up a bit

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 12:27:33 am »

Although I have owned restored machines in the past, I will be starting my first full restoration on a Coke Vendo 81D that I recently purchased. Any advice on how I should restore the machine will be appreciated. I will be getting qoutes to do the paint and body work. Is there anything I should watch out for when getting qoutes?
Thanks,
Cameron

There are a lot of hacks out there would recomend network with folks on here based on your location .  Perhaps we can direct you to the right paint or body guy.

Bag and Tag everything and SAVE it all even if you buy a replacement part .  Go slow, no since in rushing personal projects !!!  Take a lot of pics and even videos.
Cameron

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 01:00:06 am »

Thank you for the recommendations. Disassembled the machine today. Took lots of photos and bagged everything separately. The breaker strips were hard to get off. I imagine they will be difficult to replace when I start reassembling. I'm thinking of having the bottle stack sent out for restoration. It looks pretty complicated to disassemble.

One of my biggest concerns is that I find a good paint and body shop in the Los Angeles area. I don't know if I should have the embossing hand painted or buy a vinyl decal. If I take it to a local car auto body shop for the paint and body work I'm thinking they will have never seen one of these machines and will give me a high estimate. I've been told to take the machine to the paint and body shop to have them color match the paint. Most of my machine has a thin layer of spray paint from an amateur restoration. Not sure what paint to use to color match. Is there a Coke red that someone can recommend or should I buy some touch up paint from Funtronics and have them match it?

I ordered a lot of parts from Funtronics including the replacement screw kit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:44:25 pm by Cameron » Logged

Cameron
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:06:50 am »

How far are you from Ventura?  Check with Glen ( MoonDawg81) he has some resources there perhaps he can help you .

Yes, the bottle stack will take probably 40 hours your first time !

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: