SMC Discussion Areas
April 18, 2024, 01:56:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Apprentice!!!  (Read 3389 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: July 18, 2017, 09:03:51 am »

I finally got my 14 year old son involved in the soda machine restoration hobby... he was looking for a way to earn some extra $$$ this summer , saving up for a car.. so figured I needed some help in the shop.. he's got some extra time during the summer, might as well have him start tearing down some machines... started him on a CS 72.. and he really liked taking it apart... probably have him do some small cleaning of parts, and such, but I'll still be putting them back together at this point!!
fun to have someone in the shop with me working too!!!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:02:00 am »

That's awesome John. Great idea!

And a kool way to introduce the younger generation to our great hobby and keep it going!

P.S. I don't see any baggies labeled with a Sharpie for reassembly.  And be sure he takes pics!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:15:26 am by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:08:08 am »

probably have him do some small cleaning of parts, and such, but I'll still be putting them back together at this point!!

You both have to participate here John.  You do remember the satisfaction we got after assembling our first machines?   happydrinkers

Then later on, if he buys his own machine and flips it..........ADDICTION!  Machines will just start showing up when you are at work. LOL

Glen
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:39 pm »

Sounds like fun; hope my kids get into when they are older

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:38:45 am »

Good for you John. Always great to have the kids work with you on projects.  Just wait till he finishes his first one. Can you say HOOKED.....

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:24 am »

He learns a trade, you get some help in the shop. Sounds like a win-win to me.  biggrin

I wish my Dad liked tinkering with vending machines. He prefers cars though, and I'm not very good with cars.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 01:00:35 pm »

at this stage, he is merely a "Helper".. the final detail assembly still is my area for now to keep the level of restoration at it's highest!!!
he had fun tearing this one down... and got him started on another one this week as this one is at the painters now!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: