SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 06:05:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on self restoration  (Read 3796 times)
Rick_T88
5 Cent Member

« on: May 29, 2017, 12:11:58 pm »

Hello all.  I have a Cavalier 72.  Bought it last year. Cools great.  I keep the beers to 28 degrees.  I live in Houston, TX.  I had it outside most of last summer on my cover back patio.  It developed a tremendous amount of condensation.  Due to increased rusting fears I brought it indoors.  I am considering doing a self-managed restoration.  I don't plan to do all the work, but will act as the manager of the project.  Any tips or subcontractors (sand blasters, painters, etc) in the Houston area you would recommend?  I could ship it off somewhere to have it done, but then it's like having an old car.  I think I'd take more pride doing some of it myrself.  Thanks.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 01:07:35 pm »

If you restore it are to going to keep the same color scheme or change it to red bottom white top? I'm asking because that machine looks pretty nice as it sits. I would take out the compressor and redo that. Paint it and rewire it. While the compressor is out clean the floorboard and the rest of the inside. From the outside you have some rust on the bottom the of the door so I would just address that but overall that is a nice original machine. Maybe put in new glass for the bottle door and fresh set of decals. maybe the machine looks worse in person than your photos but I think it's already a nice machine. Just sharing my thoughts, either way you can't go wrong.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:39:10 pm »

You could just change the bottle and main door gaskets and watch it closely for condensation this summer.

If you must break it down for paint, you will then have the opportunity to replace the insulation. 

I agree, it looks like a nice original as is.

Glen
Rick_T88
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:01 pm »

I'm planning on keeping the same paint scheme.  The rust on the bottom concerns me.  I was planning on changing out the entire cooling system when this one quits.  I would also like to re insulate it and maybe put it back outside.  Currently it is a little loud for the living room.  
Rick_T88
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »

I replaced both the main door seal and bottle door seal recently.  The main door seal as well as another seal on the inner side of the main body to go with the main door seal.  That was recommended when I started a post about 6 months ago.  I also have done the paper in the door test to verify a tight seal.   I did this while it was outside and the bottle door one a couple of months ago while inside.  No condensation since bring it inside.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »

I'm not sure why you would want to change out the cooling system. The original cooling system are the best. Plus you say when it stops working, chances are if it's working now it will work for quite some time. Those compressors are pretty bulletproof. I would not put a new cooling system in it.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:33:57 pm »

Only a few things I would do to that machine is a good clean and buff with a complete wiring replace. Amazing how much better these run with clean fins/fans etc.. Fans are cheap replace those. Need better photos of the rust to sort how bad it is. Too nice to repaint. 
Creighton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: