SMC Discussion Areas
April 26, 2024, 02:27:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Box Restoration  (Read 4574 times)
Tulsa Time

« on: March 07, 2017, 03:34:26 pm »

I'm at a standstill on the Glascock restoration at the moment so I grabbed this recently for $25.  Obviously not a pop machine or a cooler and probably doesn't even qualify for a 'buy of the week' post, but thought it might be of interest to some here . . .  laugh  I'm planning to up-cycle it into a wine/liquor storage cabinet. 

There's no indication anywhere of who made this.  I found one that looks similar on CL that's tagged "ICER" and was made in Chattanooga, TN.  I wondered if this/it might have been a forerunner to Cavalier??  I've done a lot of digging without success, so I'd be curious if anyone can shed any light on it.

I've gutted it and taken the sheet metal off the wooden frame, which is going to have to be completely rebuilt due to rot and termite damage.  It appears that it may have originally been a white cabinet with the door possibly being red. 

I'm still undecided on the final look but it won't be made to look like a Coke machine . . . I'm thinking more of art-deco color combination, possibly using hammered finish paint. 

BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:11:34 am »

Nice pickup for $ 25!

Not sure I would do a hammered paint finish.  Because of the size of the cooler, doing it in hammertone might make it look too much like a locker or a tool cabinet.

I think you should do a art deco colour (like a Dr. Pepper green) or a soft yellow etc...

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:33:00 pm »

Yeah I agree.. I would two tone it.. maybe the Dr Pepper Green and an off/antique white down the middle embossed door.
Hammertone would make it a locker for a garage. There are a lot of great examples of restored fridges online.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Tulsa Time

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:20:59 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking that a two-tone finish at a minimum would look cool.  I looked at pics on the net for inspiration but didn't really see anything that was very exciting, let alone inspiring.  I think of black/silver when I think of art deco but that's not sending me at all.  DP green could be a possibility . . . I have a cool, deco Coors porcelain sign that combines a green about the shade of DP green, along with dark green, orange, and beige.  Maybe onto something there . . . thanks for the input to get me thinking in that direction.   happydrinkers

I'm planning to polish up the hardware as much as possible so will likely put a darker color behind that to make it pop. 

I may have to play around in Corel and see if I can create some virtual renderings. 

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »

lots you could do with it.. lots of cool lines on it..

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Tulsa Time

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:28:28 pm »

Dang!  You did a helluva lot better job on finding pics that I did . . .  darn  Those first two are pretty cool IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: