SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 09:03:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lighted Coke Halo Sign  (Read 2698 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: January 29, 2017, 08:28:01 am »

Hello Chaps.

Need your help and advice. I managed to buy a nice Coke Halo sign off eBay in the UK.

The seller advertised it as working and he actually included lit up pictures in the listing. So I'm sure that it has worked in the recent past.

Unfortunately he was not the best packer in the world and it arrived in a cardboard box with a small amount of bubble wrap around it. Lens has a little damage but the biggest problem is its not currently working correctly.

The power is getting to the starter because I can see it glowing. I changed the starter with a different numbered one I have in my jukebox and it tried to work. The light began flickering on and off. Hence me thinking that the original starter was knackered.

The starter is a FS 12. For circular lights. Unfortunately these are not available here in the UK. So onto eBay US I went and managed to secure two FS-12 starters.

They arrived yesterday and very excitedly I put one in turned the power on and nothing. Not even a flicker. Same with the other one.

The starters are made by two different companies. The original one was Sylvania and the new ones Snapit.

The Sylvania one says starter with condenser whilst the other one doesn't.

Before I chop all the original electrical equipment out and put new stuff in I was hoping that someone could explain if there is a difference between the two starters and whether the condenser bit would make a difference. If so I'll go back on eBay and try again

Thanks

Dave
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:29:32 am by davethebirdman » Logged
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:44:04 am »

Someone might know better than me...what are the numbers printed on the bulb? If it says FS-12, you should get a starter that says what wattage it is for. The packaging usually states this. I think starters fit 2 or 3 close wattages. I don't have any circle lights that aren't in a clock already so I don't know what starter you need.I'll have to go to the hardware store to check.
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:53:16 am »

you need an FS-4 starter for a 30 & 40 watt bulb. Do you have an online hardware store you can order from? They are $2.99US for 2 in the US at truevalue.com. I'd buy and ship to you but don't know shipping cost.
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »

Great information,  I have had one for a few years and never looked in it .

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest