SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 03:19:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glascock Standard Resto  (Read 8755 times)
Tulsa Time

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 01:21:22 pm »

Thanks for that info, that certainly helps in the decision-making process.  I think I'm going to go cheap and try it with the Krylon first.  If I don't like it I can always redo it again.  My goal is to have a cool piece to use, not sit in a museum so it doesn't have to be perfect. 

Just talked to a buddy who can sandblast it at his place for me for free so I need to start disassembly.  Better start by getting the Band-aids and peroxide rounded up--I haven't given any blood to this project yet and it doesn't technically qualify as one of my jobs yet . . .  oops
Tulsa Time

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 03:06:48 pm »

Well, it was a hard-fought battle that started yesterday but I finally won this morning.  Many of the old bolts didn't go down without a fight.  There were quite a few that had been replaced at some point and they proved to be more difficult than the originals for whatever reason.  

I was in need of some inspiration and was shocked how easily this cleaned up using some Simple Green and Scotch Brite pad.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:37:32 pm by Tulsa Time » Logged
Tulsa Time

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 06:00:06 pm »

Straightening the frame went surprisingly well, though it was a bit time consuming.  I have a weed burner that connects to a propane tank so I used it to heat up the steel, and pounded it all back into place with a rubber mallet and some wood blocks.  The only problems are the nice burns I'm sporting on two fingers now . . .  Oo  The steel on these is pretty thin so I didn't get it glowing hot.  It all bent back into place pretty easily. 

Next will be setting up a lunch, hopefully next week, with some guys who work with my buddy that will be doing the sand (or whatever media they deem appropriate) blasting. 

Guess I need to get some auctions listed so I can start stashing money away to pay for my Fun-Tronics parts!
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 08:56:05 pm »

Welcome to the board !!
That restore is coming along great. Thanks for the photo's.
Creighton
Tulsa Time

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 06:00:49 pm »

Thanks!

I pulled the Fun-tronics trigger today so I'm hopeful that will inspire me to get it together quickly.   happydrinkers

I've located two 1934 original replacement (red/white) long panels--from two sources no less, just wish I knew if anyone had a pair of nice end panels.  I might change directions on this if I could put a set of originals together. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: