SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 10:35:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone want a "GOOD DEAL" on a restored VMC Pepsi 81  (Read 8598 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: January 26, 2017, 12:58:38 pm »

I'm buying a restored Pepsi VMC 81 on the East Coast...
it's been restored, but owner does not know by whom as he bought it this way.
From the looks of it , it looks very nice and done correct (the way I would do one for the most part)...
the insides however look like original galvanizing and not powder coated and show some wear from usage but all new insulation and breaker strips so it has been taken apart.
he says the cooling unit is not working now, but does not know the reason.. (from one of the photos he has a piece of foam around it for some reason? and the electrical box is opened, so not sure extent of what needs to be done, could just be a loose wire or thermostat??
I am able to buy it right , and I'm doing so to flip it..
so if someone is wanting a restored PEPSI VMC 81 with correct bezel, (incorrect id tag) needing some attention to cooling unit..
I'm asking 6500 as is... which is think is a great deal considering it's normally a 8-9k machine.. cooling unit even if shot is only 900 and your still ahead... everything else looks great.
I'm having a guy pick it up next week for me, and he is going to get it to me in WI, but if I can find a buyer on east coast , or anywhere we can look at getting it straight to you for his cost..
If your interested in this , please contact me ASAP..

I can send you better photos as well...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:59:58 pm »

more photos

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:00:26 am »

I've only had a few inquiries on this and I'm wondering what is the hesitation? I don't think it's overpriced for a machine that is nearly finished? or is it because no one knows who did the restoration? is it the cooling issue?
Just curiuos as I thought this would be a simple and quick flip for someone looking for a nice VMC 81?
of course if I get it back to my shop I'll go through it with a fine tooth comb and address any issues ...
but was hoping to save a buyer or me some time and $$ on shipping all over the place..

just curiuos as to your opinions on it?

Thanks
John

mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:28:59 am »

Honestly John it could be the color as in the darker blue. I myself am not a fan of that color on a Pepsi 81. I love the 2 tone but I prefer the lighter Pepsi blue, the blue you typically see if the machine was not 2 tone. A friend of mine had one like yours and it never grew on me, in fact he didn't like it either so when the machine was being restored for him he was obligated to buy it but was disappointed in the color.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:09 pm »

I have a different opinion!
      I think most of the guys on this site are like you and me...........
      We signed up on SMC to learn about these old machines, then we try and buy 'em low, fix 'em up and sell 'em high.

Why not throw those pictures up on E-bay? The people I sell machines to don't even know how to hold a screwdriver. tounge

Glen
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 12:18:02 pm »

Still out of my price range and it's two tone with wrong colors... so even more money to make it right for me,
I would rather have a solid Pepsi blue one myself.. but I'm sure someone will contact you.. a hard machine to find... I'm just poor. down smile

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:41:15 pm »

Hum ?? The color is not really an big issue for me alllthough I like the lighter But it dose appear to be a way darker blue .

I'm here to make friends and to learn for the rest of you guys . I collect & trade for ME & Hoard !!!!
 But Cash $$$$  is huge deal for me . I have sold a few things to cover up grades but I really !!!!! cant fork out thousands of dollars at a time . I just completed 85% of a cash deal and its the Largest amount I ever paid in 15 years and  this was with help from Friends ,the next morning I thought to my self WHAT THE HELL DID I DO aaaaaaahhhhhh. tounge jawdrop

But I think its a decent deal . Im just not in the class a lot of members are in.
And i'm used to decent clean displayable original survivor machine with a few dings & dents like me in my 55 years .

But I also notice not a lot of buying on High dollar machines lately .Must be because of Christmas & Tax Time .

I still want a Pepsi 81  

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:23:16 pm by Ltransam » Logged

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:12:23 pm »

Hi John...Here's my 2 cents:

-  the blue is too dark in color, and I can't see the quality of the paint job because the pics are too dark and too far away. Need more close up pics to see if there is orange peel in the paint.
-  I can't tell the condition of the inside although you stated its original galvanized metal.  To me, this machine was not restored...it was repainted (you stated it's been restored. it's not).
-  the cooling deck is a concern although the reduction in price accounts for it. Problem is not everyone has a refrigeration person nearby to fix/replace.
-  it doesn't have a high dollar change giver mech.

In my opinion John, you should ship this machine home, take better pics, fix the refrigeration/electrical issue, maybe powdercoat the inside, and list it on ebay, not SMC.  Rarely on this SMC forum has anyone ever paid up for a machine. We are all just too cheap.

I think when it's all fixed up it's a $7k machine IF (and IF being the operative word), you find a buyer willing to pony up the cash.  As the price goes up, the number of potential buyers goes down. Many of us would rather buy an unrestored Pepsi 81 for $3500, because we can't scrape up the $7k all at once.  And if you buy an unrestored one, you can restore it yourself or take it to a restorer of your choice later when you have the extra $4500-5k funds to pay for a resto, and get it exactly the way you want it (blue color of choice, 2 tone vs. 1 tone).

Good luck!  It's a nice machine!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 04:07:18 pm »

Thanks Guys... all good points...

I will be getting it back into my shop in the next few weeks.. and from there I will either repaint it if it's bad, and of course fix any things that may have been not done correctly.

Was hoping for the fast flip but it may take a little longer... oh well.. still got a good deal on it so I'll come out on it OK.

Thanks!   happydrinkers

John

davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 04:49:27 pm »

Hi John

the Chap on the vintage vending machine Facebook page is on a buying spree, has he not expressed an interest??

Dave
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 08:56:51 pm »

Along the lines of what Eric said, holiday bills are rolling in so funds are an issue

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 12:24:58 pm »

Now is a hard time to sell, I have had some good deals listed and it took me some time to sell. Most folks haven't got their tax return yet either so hopefully when those start going out sales will pick back up, it's a hard time right now for most businesses. Also, as others pointed out there are some clues to the restoration quality that makes someone wonder what mite be lurking behind the paint.

The generation that is paying big money for these machines is getting smaller and smaller everyday, supply and demand to say the least. That's a different story, great looking machine!
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 05:48:48 pm »

Hey John,
Glad you will not be upside down on the Pepsi. Hope it needs very little.
Creighton

msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 07:43:03 pm »

I sent you a PM

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 10:28:56 pm »

To me this is what Pepsi blue should look like . I also think it's too dark . This 39 was painted in the 50s

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 02:54:44 am »

To me this is what Pepsi blue should look like . I also think it's too dark . This 39 was painted in the 50s

That blue is too light it for the Pepsi 81 it was darker
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 12:19:50 am »

That 39 was painted in the early 60s, Very typical light blue that was found on the transitional and early square tops.

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print