SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 01:52:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glascock Standard - to do or not to do . . . advice welcome  (Read 7475 times)
Tulsa Time

« on: January 14, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »

Hi all,

Long-time collector, new poster here.  Used to have a major collection of Coke stuff that I started collecting in the 70's but sold off most of it in the 90's.  I kept some of my favorite pieces and have a good rooms worth still.  I couldn't part with my machines and have a nice, all original 33, a 27 on an enclosed base (both Coke), as well as a Pepsi 56 that serves as a beer dispenser and a slider that I had redone with University of Tulsa colors and graphics.  The 56 and slider are used in our outdoor living space and occasionally when entertaining we have need for an ice chest, hence my attempt at justification . . .

I have an opportunity to buy a Glascock standard that is essentially just the frame--no lids, panels, or insulated box included--so it would be a total restoration.  I've been crunching numbers trying to justify it and it looks like I would have around $500 in it when all is said and done NOT including the lids.  I'm curious if anyone is repopping the lids for these or if anyone has had any made successfully?  I have no idea what they would run but figured that they would be more than I would guess.

I'm not sure what the value and/or demand is on them these days?  There are a couple on ebay for $2k, but I consider that to be unrealistic.  What do you all think one would be worth restored with repro panels in it? 

I had one restored 'back in the day' and was lucky enough to find NOS replacement panels for it so it turned out beautiful.  I wrote to Atlanta back then and got the paint codes from the archives and need to dig around and find the information as I've seen that question addressed here. 

If I do this one, I've been thinking about restoring it as an all-weather version and either have the frame galvanized (again, not sure of cost) or use hammered-finish silver Krylon paint on it.  It would get some use and I think this finish would hold up better since it will be outside and as well might wear/look better if it gets scuffed or nicked.  I realize that I might shoot myself in the foot if I ever want to resell it, but if so, would hope someone might want it for the same purpose.

Curious what you all think and welcome any comments, advice, and/or suggestions.  Thanks in advance!
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »

Unless it's a machine you've always wanted for yourself it seems like it more trouble than it's worth. Just like the Coke Jr., as soon as the reproduction came out, it killed the market for the most part on that cooler. I would classify the Glascock in that same category. I see them around for sale, both the standard and smaller one and I just pass right over them because I don't want to try to figure out if they are the real ones or the reproduction one. 

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Tulsa Time

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:26:17 pm »

Thanks Goose.  Yes, I've been in this stuff long enough to see the entire rise and unfortunate fall in the value of all this stuff.  I've always wanted a Junior but ironically none have ever come my direction.  I wasn't aware the the repros were so close until I started snooping around here--good to know.  This one is authentic, tub is stamped 30, and it has an original tag on it.  I've known the owner for years and he has had it a for a while himself.

Basically I'm looking at $150 out of pocket to buy the frame.  I could cut the total tremendously if I could come up with a cheaper solution on the panels.  I'm in advertising and should have some resources that might be able to make a cheaper one somehow--??

I'm into outdoor grilling and have 35+ Hasty Bake and other grills made in Tulsa and am always buying/restoring/flipping them.  I think I just have the itch to do a resto and grills are dead this time of year.   
Tulsa Time

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:03:18 pm »

I finally made it by to look at the 'skeleton' today . . .  It was a good news/bad news situation.  Bad news is that it has two bends in the frame instead of the one I was expecting, good news is that the original lids ARE there!  Unfortunately at some point someone made a "slider" out of them, but it's not anything that can't be restored. 

So . . . . I went ahead and bought it for $140 and have a new resto project!!  Of course, I haven't told the other half yet but after 30+ years of her dealing with me messing with this stuff, I have that down to a fine art . . .  Cool

I'm hopeful that after a few hundy on parts--combined with some sweat-equity--I'll have a functional conversation piece (that we'll ALL be happy with)! 

Does anyone have any recommendation on what to use for insulation?  I seem to recall seeing some insulating board that's pretty rigid that would seem like it would work.  Looks like a trip to Home Depot is in my near future!

Tulsa Time

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:11:04 pm »

Wow, over a year later and it's still not done, but I have made 'some' progress.

I got it all taken apart, stripped down, and straightened the frame.  I heated it up a bit with my weed burner and pounded it back straight.  In the process, a couple of spot welds came loose so I need to find someone to fix that. 

I bought a set of repro insert signs, but have recently been having second thoughts about using them.  Had I started buying original panels when I first started this I would be 3/4 of the way home as I've seen three!!  I recently bought a decent side panel, dated 1940, so I'm a bit torn to do it "cheap" and use the re-pops or try to put together a set of originals.  I'd like to do it original, but I would likely never recoup my investment.  It's sad what reproductions have done--and continue to do--to the market.  Guess I should have been chasing more of the round-corner machines back in the day . . .  darn

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 08:30:48 am »

I collect because I like it.. some pieces I have I may make money on some I may not...
I mostly buy to keep... I figure my family will go through it someday when I'm gone and do whatever.
That said, sounds like you bought this cooler because you liked it... sounds like a good project... You may
make money on it you may not. If you want to flip it... use the repro signs and call it done... if you want to
restore it back using original pieces, take your time, do it right and keep it and enjoy having it in your collection.

It's your cooler now... do what you want to do... There are folks out there restoring Vendo 83s and folks out there
making couches and car trailers out of Quikold coolers... So there are no rules..

I look at it like this... we're saving these pieces of soda history that someday down the road (Hopefully waaayyyy down the road) will end up in
another collection... We're all just curators of this stuff for the next generation... so do it right. happydrinkers
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:44:43 am by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:22:30 am »

I bought a set of repro insert signs, but have recently been having second thoughts about using them. 
 Had I started buying original panels when I first started this I would be 3/4 of the way home as I've seen three!! 

It is the original signs that will determine future value of the cooler.

I have been on the hunt for all soda signs for a few years now and the demand (and prices) keep going up much faster than do machines and coolers.

You should restore your cooler with the repro's and keep watch for originals, replace them one at a time or when you get all 4.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: