SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 11:25:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation  (Read 3066 times)
WDG
5 Cent Member

« on: November 28, 2016, 07:55:09 am »

I've been trying to do some research on different types of insulation.  The pink insulation at Lowe's and HD seems to be the choice preferred.  This is loose and requires some careful planning to put the liner or tub back into the machine.  I've noted a couple of suggestions using cardboard and tape to hold it in place.  I recently put some insulation in a machine that I've not finished yet, leaving the Kraft facing on it so that it would not catch the insulation and bunch it up.  This appears to have been a grave mistake and from what I should have read before doing this, I'm now seeing this IS a grave mistake and must pull the liner out and remove the Kraft facing.  Because I don't have a lot of help I can call on this is going to be a chore but I expect some feedback telling me to do it.
My next idea was to use Roxul ProRox SL960 because it is denser and will hold it's shape giving me the idea that it will be easier to put the liner back in.  My question is does anyone have any feedback on using this product?  It's initially used in the industrial world as insulation in building boilers as it has excellent heat repellent.  But keeping heat in a boiler and keeping a machine cold on the inside may not produce the same results.  Before I get ready to pull the liner I would like to hear from more experienced people hoping that no one will die laughing from my idea.
I have looked at my liner and believe that I can get the Kraft out from the sides, top and bottom without pulling the liner, but I wouldn't be able to get it off the back.  Would I be making a mistake to leave the Kraft on the back and taking it off of the sides saving me the problem of pulling the liner out? 
I note that the Roxul insulation is very similar in density and characteristics of some insulation I've pulled out of machines in the past. 

WH 44SK
BA 28S
Vendo 83
VMC 340
Rock Ola 3303
Vendo 63
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:58:33 pm »

the only issue you get with the kraft on it is if it gets wet , it will rot and mold...

I'ts not a hard task if you follow the tips on this site on how to do it... I do it all myself using the tape trick on most machines.. not hard at all and works great!

I just stick to good ole fiberglass insulation.. I can't get the pink anywhere around me anymore.. so it's a different type but works great!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
WDG
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »

I did get the Kraft paper off of the left and right side.  I will try tomorrow to get it off the top and bottom.  I was able to do it without pulling the liner.  If I get the top and the bottom, I will probably leave the back alone.

WH 44SK
BA 28S
Vendo 83
VMC 340
Rock Ola 3303
Vendo 63
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: