SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 04:51:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier 72 restoration, Interesting Wiring Configuration? Take a look  (Read 9984 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: October 28, 2016, 09:00:09 am »

Restoring this Cavalier 72 currently and was tearing it down the other night and took out the insulation for the door and was going to remove wiring harness..
Found it strange however that one Black wire came up and out from junction block inside the door and then they spliced it and ran another white wire up inside the lip of the door all the way around and then back down and around the bottle door opening (up under the insides of course).. and then back down into the junction block.
this block has two BLACK lead ins on the left hand side and just makes this loop?  what do you suppose it was for?  maybe a light kit option at one time? I just can't figure it out... it's factory installed too..

curious as to your thoughts...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 12:02:44 pm »

Clearly it's an FM antenna loop for the factory option radio...no idea, I'd guess it was for a light kit as well

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:12:41 pm »

I believe the white wire is resistor wire and has something to do with running current around the glass door.

Glen
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:15:36 pm »

I believe the white wire is resistor wire and has something to do with running current around the glass door.

X2.....I have had several 72's with the same wire around the door.  I always thought the wire resistive....to keep the door gaskets warm in cold weather???  I remove the wire during restoration, the machine functions just fine.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:32:54 am »

Hmm.
That is interesting for sure...I just tore down another Cav 72 and it did not have this feature.. , also noted that the one that did have it, had the Linkage style of Coin Door lock. the other two did not, ? not sure if that indicates production years?? later or earlier?

just interesting I thought.. but makes a good conversation...

I do not plan on adding it back in during restoration... as would imagine customer won't be running his brand new restored machine outdoors... removing it just like other "heating Elements" on coin mechs etc...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
genudoc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 11:44:23 am »

A busy week with Cavalier 72's
I started ti put mine back together
What I learned

1) The cardboard trick works great .I was able to put back in liner by myself on first try.
2) Big mistake-Had Global Compressors get me new compressor.I put it in and 3 screws fit but on trying to adjust, I broke the copper piece and a whoosh of Freon came out. Not good. So caution when fine adjusting the compressor
3) Take pictures and label parts as come out.I thought would be doing this project 4 months after breakdown and was closer to 2 years. Sure wish 1 took those pics. Good thing I have a second 72 to look at for comparison
4) Funtronics is key- The complete screw kit helped with the reassembly .Also new gaskets and breaker strips fit perfectly
5) Do not leave on masking tape. In transport from the paint shop, the bottle door was taped in place .Not easy to remove 1 year later

But has been fun experience

Jacobs56(2)
Cavalier 54
Cavalier 72
Cavalier 51
Vendo 44
VMC 27
VMC 33
Glasco Slider
Vendo 110
Stoner Candy Machine
200Gumball Machines- I have a sickness