SMC Discussion Areas
April 24, 2024, 03:36:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get rid of rust and paint?  (Read 7946 times)
blade300

« on: September 28, 2016, 07:18:48 am »

This is the track for my U Select It. It holds the candy. It's grimy, has paint and some rust on it. I don't think it could be sandblasted? Sanding by hand would take too long. Maybe a chemical treatment? I need to get it prepared for paint. It holds the candy and I want it clean and presentable. Vinegar removes rust but not paint. Evaprust I don't think removes paint and it is expensive.
Looking for suggestion please.  What do you think?
Thanks
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:33:24 am »

there are a few ways..
if you have a big enough tank, soak it in some simple green and water solution, and take a scrub brush after it and get the grime off..

you can sand blast them, but then you have to blow out all the sand and work each moving part for a while till it moves freely again... that will remove tall the rust and paint for sure.

I'm sure there are other chemical baths too but none I've used.

I've done 3 uselects and sand blasted all of them for prep with no problem..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
blade300

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:38:54 am »

So sandblasting didn't hurt the small clips? BTW what are they for and do the trays come off?
Thanks for your help

there are a few ways..
if you have a big enough tank, soak it in some simple green and water solution, and take a scrub brush after it and get the grime off..

you can sand blast them, but then you have to blow out all the sand and work each moving part for a while till it moves freely again... that will remove tall the rust and paint for sure.

I'm sure there are other chemical baths too but none I've used.

I've done 3 uselects and sand blasted all of them for prep with no problem..
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:02:43 pm »

gotta be someone that has done one of these.. I would have it dipped though then you're exposing it to rust.. you could have it plated (zinc)  but with all the moving parts
I think that would/could be a nightmare... you may have to take it apart... wow... reminds me of all the shelving in a Stoner taking that all apart.
Would love to see and hear stories of these type of restorations.
Good Luck.. hope someone with experience chimes in.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:04:02 pm »

If it was all steel, you could take to a place like Redi-strip & dip it as an assembly, the electro-alkali-process will remove paint & rust but won't harm the metal, BUT  if there is aluminum or zinc pieces on it the dip-bath will eat those pieces alive. So some disassembly would be require to prep it.

Some furniture refinishers use the same process to remove paint & varnishes

Another option would be soda-blasting  

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
blade300

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:45:24 pm »

Well I found out my Dad has a Sandblaster that hooks up to his pressure washer. So tomorrow I will give it a try. Thinking about how to keep it from flopping around. Wish me luck
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 08:52:16 pm »

That being the case I would soak in Simple green scrub and pressure wash. Harbour Freight just about gives away clamps.
Creighton
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 12:37:11 pm »

So sandblasting didn't hurt the small clips? BTW what are they for and do the trays come off?
Thanks for your help

Your Tray assembly looks different than the ones I did ? I don't recall any "Clips"?  is this out of a square to Uselect unit ? as it just looks completely different...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »

I agree, Simple green is pretty good for both eating minimal rust and loosening paint provided you spend some time scrubbing at various intervals over several hours.
As far as having the assembly dipped, definitely will cause problems for anything aluminum!
Sandblasting works but will etch or add texture which could affect the final finish depending on what the final finish will be...
I re-finished one in "Electroless Nickel" plating and the finish came out beautiful! Only drawback was the expense, $250!

My six cents,

Jim

blade300

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 04:25:15 pm »

Here's a pic. Got it sandblasted today.
Your Tray assembly looks different than the ones I did ? I don't recall any "Clips"?  is this out of a square to Uselect unit ? as it just looks completely different...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: