SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 05:53:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration Starting on Progress Pepsi Cooler - But?  (Read 13575 times)
kraftworkz

« on: June 10, 2016, 09:52:23 pm »

Restoration Starting on a Progress Pepsi Cooler - But how does the inner galvanized tub come out/apart? and how does the handle remove?

Any websites with detailed photos? Much appreciated..
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:11:31 pm »

When you figure all of that out, let us know... biggrin

Typically the liner is left in when restoring. They're usually spot welded at the top. You also have to contend with the drain plug at the bottom.

The lids are usually assembled the same way with spot welds.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
kraftworkz

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:17:27 pm »

Yea, I saw the spot welds for the lid, but not the tub. Did not even get to the drain plug yet.. Humn..
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:50:40 pm »

Here you go: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,16901.0.html

I did this one a couple of years ago, a little tricky to get started, but goes quick once you are moving.

The handle comes out by pulling one side away from the cooler, it is just pressure fitted in there.

kraftworkz

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:58:42 pm »

Here you go: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,16901.0.html

I did this one a couple of years ago, a little tricky to get started, but goes quick once you are moving.

The handle comes out by pulling one side away from the cooler, it is just pressure fitted in there.

Perfect, thank you. I see there is also insulation in there? Did you clean, paint or powder coat the tub? The handle comes off by prying?

Curious is people powder coat the inside? Paint? Chrome or Nickel plate? What insulation is used?

I'm documenting all my progresses on this and a VMC-88 as well.. Will share when all done.
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 07:05:46 pm »

Perfect, thank you. I see there is also insulation in there? Did you clean, paint or powder coat the tub? The handle comes off by prying?

Curious is people powder coat the inside? Paint? Chrome or Nickel plate? What insulation is used?

I'm documenting all my progresses on this and a VMC-88 as well.. Will share when all done.

Appreciate the documenting. Will want to "copy off your notes" for when I restore my Pepsi picnic Smiley

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 08:44:45 pm »

I'd love to say I did one of those and everything is great, but reality checked in on this project and it's still in the torn down stage waiting.  I planned on it being more of a display piece, so I am going to just do Hammertone in the liner.  One thing to think about is that the liner flexes a lot and is held square by the outer shell.  Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you either figure out a way to keep it stable so the paint/powder coat doesn't flex or chip out before you get it back in the shell.

kraftworkz

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »

I'd love to say I did one of those and everything is great, but reality checked in on this project and it's still in the torn down stage waiting.  I planned on it being more of a display piece, so I am going to just do Hammertone in the liner.  One thing to think about is that the liner flexes a lot and is held square by the outer shell.  Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you either figure out a way to keep it stable so the paint/powder coat doesn't flex or chip out before you get it back in the shell.

Ah yes, good point about the edge bending over for powder coating..
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 11:34:55 pm »

I did a 7up with one of my boys a couple years ago.  It was certainly not a professional job, but turned out well for what we wanted it to be.  Bought it for $40 at a garage sale and turned it into a keepsake my son will take with him when he leaves the house some day.  We used a dremel tool to cut the spot welds out and separate the lid from its inner liner.  It was the only way we could get access to try to straighten out the dents in it.  We put it back together by filling it with low expansion foam.  Not as strong a hold as the welds, but it essentially "glued" the 2 pieces together.  Holds fine since the piece will be used only for display purposes.  Our paint was just rattle can, and we left the inner liner with the original galvanized finish.  The inner liner for the cooler is held in place by the compression fitting along the top edge.  You can carefully bend this out with a flat blade putty knife and slide the liner out.  All the metal pieces can be polished up to look pretty nice.  I looked all over for replacement corner pieces, but could not find a source.

I have the same Pepsi version of the cooler in pieces now.  My youngest is doing that one with me.  It's sort of a compromise I have with my wife.  When I pick up a new item, I redo it as a father/son project.  That item then becomes theirs.  It ensures her that down the road it will eventually leave the house.  The pics below show what it looked like when we got it.  The lid was smashed and had a hole rusted all the way through it.  We took it apart, banged out the dents, did our best bondo job (still learning that process) and just painted it last weekend.  Not sure if the color is what we want, may not be dark enough to match the original close enough.  Working on the cooler body now, trying to figure out how to do the Pepsi stencil for the embossing.   If anyone knows where new corner pieces can be found, would love to know where.

I took several pics of the 7UP project and saved them to a photobucket album.  You can look at it here if you want to see how we took it apart and put it back together.  Like I said, this is an amateur level restoration, but it may have some useful pics.

http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/ilikecoinop/slideshow/Jakes%20Picnic%20Cooler
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:38:39 pm by BrianS » Logged

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 07:49:05 am »

wow that 7up came out great, thanks for sharing! so cool that you did it with your son too

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: