SMC Discussion Areas
April 19, 2024, 09:59:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to buy a machine  (Read 2757 times)
Zerbie
10 Cent Member

Bob

« on: May 28, 2016, 06:13:49 pm »

Re: A positive Note on Antique Vending

“I would just ask and tell people ... DO YOUR HOMEWORK before hiring someone to do your machine, Check sources, referrals, etc... then decide who is going to do the work.”

I really appreciated reading this old thread. Whether you’re choosing someone to restore a machine or choosing a restored machine to buy, always DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

I thought I did my homework. I got a good reputable referral for a source on a good machine....or so I thought. Unfortunately I found a few unpleasant surprises upon closer inspection once I got my machine home. Nothing that can't be fixed & I love my machine - I just could've done without the disappointment in myself for being so trusting, naïve and gullible) like a kid in a soda machine store.

I wanted to share my experience and some advice on this board so that others can learn from my mistakes. For those of you who are experienced in this field, what I'm about to say might seem like “yeah...that's basic sense” – but not so much for “newbies” like me.

Here’s my advice:
When purchasing a restored machine, don't get so wrapped up with excitement and/or fear that you'll lose the machine and offer a deposit on a machine unseen even with a reputable referral. You'll be in a better negotiating position or even walk away from the deal if you didn’t commit a deposit to the seller. Once you actually see the machine, take all the time you need to do a close inspection to your satisfaction, take notes on what you find and on your first reaction when you see the various areas of the machine. These notes will come in handy when closing the deal or deciding to pass on the machine. Plug it in, hear it run & cool, vend the machine-----make sure the machine lives up to your expectation and what you'd be willing to offer for the machine. If it's not the machine you're looking for, you can walk away. Sure you'll be out some time & travel money but there will always be your perfect dream machine out there somewhere sometime.

I hope others find this purposeful & useful
Happy Soda Machining!   smile

Jacobs 56 Restored
Vendo 81D "restorebished"
Vendo 81B - restoration in process
VMC Pepsi 81 - in line for restoration
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: