SMC Discussion Areas
June 25, 2024, 07:56:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kirby Vacuum  (Read 7110 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 02:18:12 pm »

Bought another one off craigslist yesterday and spent the day restoring it. Just used the method that the guy at the Kirby shop showed me. Just some 000 steel wool, mothers aluminum polish and a microfiber cloth. Still needs a new light bulb and an O ring between the metal part under the bag and the exhaust on the fan housing (shoots the dust right out the front as it is now) but other than that it seems to be in really good shape and has had very little use. Got it for 50 bucks with just about if not every accessory that Kirby made for it back then. Even had an unopened bottle of carpet shampoo in the box with the carpet shampooer attachment. Main reason I bought it was it came with an attachment called the Handi Butler which you attached to the front of the vacuum and it allowed you to use some power tools (drill, buffing, grinding and sanding wheels, and even a jig saw). Guy at the Kirby shop told me he sharpens lawnmower blades with one but the belts are really hard to find so I don't know if I'll use it.

Anyway here are a couple pictures. Think it turned out pretty good for just a day of work.

Before and After

Both vacuums

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:21:25 pm by scalebowler » Logged
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 03:21:58 pm »

Congratulations! Kirbys are the finest floor model vacuum cleaners made IMHO.
 You could end up with one of these for every room in your house LOL!

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 09:15:36 pm »

Congratulations! Kirbys are the finest floor model vacuum cleaners made IMHO.
 You could end up with one of these for every room in your house LOL!

Thanks! I totally agree, Kirbys are really well made vacuums. Don't know of any other brand that can be 40 years old and still look like it has another 40 years left in it. Still want to find a Kirby Dual Sanitronic 50 to clean up and then I think I'll be set for a while. Love them and love working on them but it seems if I'm not careful they could multiply very quickly. Eventually the plan is to build a small display in the corner of the room with 3 boxes all different heights that each vacuum will sit on. Then hang up some posters, old pictures, and maybe a shelf or rack that some of the old obsolete accessories (like the shag king) could be displayed on. Think that would make a nice little place to store and display them
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 09:20:35 pm »

Will make great display/conversation pieces... These look really nice.. will have to watch auctions
I go to... may have to pick one up too!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:41 pm »

Will make great display/conversation pieces... These look really nice.. will have to watch auctions
I go to... may have to pick one up too!

Thanks! They're pretty fun and easy to redo. Plus the cool thing is Kirby still makes parts for most of their models since they designed them to last pretty much forever.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: