SMC Discussion Areas
April 26, 2024, 05:47:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 63 Main door adjustment  (Read 5105 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: April 25, 2016, 09:25:13 am »

I have recently started working on some square top machines, and the two in the shop now are Vendo 63's.. both main doors have "play" in them. the door latch does not draw the door tight.. and I know about the adjustable locking bar bracket mounted on the inside of the cabinet? I'm thinking with new gaskets and such it will close tight, but not sure?  is there any other adjustments anyone has dealt with to make sure I get a tight seal on this main door.. looks to be a pretty good gap on top vs bottom as well. so not sure if that can be fixed?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:04 pm »

My guess is the door hinges have "sprung" you may have to have a body guy make th adjustments while the door is on the cabinet.  I have heard of guys using a rolled up towel with a rubber mallet to get it moved, especially if it's been painted!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:29:20 pm »

Explain "Sprung".... please.

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:01:00 pm »

Explain "Sprung".... please.

When the weight of the door puts an "inward", our "outward" torsion on the cabinet hinges.  When this happens the reveal of the door even when closed will cause a gap. 

I'm no body man but I'm sure an expert like Shane could chime in to further explain this my educated guess.  A few members that have restored machines lately have had similar problems.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 01:14:06 am »

What would cause this? Would think the machine need to be serious out of level/plumb to shift the door weight enough to distort the metal.
Thanks!
Creighton
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 08:24:31 am »

What would cause this? Would think the machine need to be serious out of level/plumb to shift the door weight enough to distort the metal.
Thanks!
Creighton

If the machine is level, the torqued door could be the result of someone hanging on it some time in its life, or getting caught when moving it. It's not difficult to "spring" a door.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:49:52 am »

This is the top hinge of my 63.

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 01:01:05 pm »

I've restored plenty of them myself, but only a few square tops, and I've seen this on about 3 of them in the shop so far.. some I haven't gotten to yet...

The round tops I've been able to adjust a hinge so that when looking at the door from the front , straight on it can get back in line, or even with the cabinet..

this door is not out of alignment as suggested from weight or hanging.. its perfectly square , but just does not close tight...

I appreciate all the advice so far , keep it coming as a group we'll figure it out.

Thanks
John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: