SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 12:00:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picking Ace Locks  (Read 9498 times)
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« on: March 13, 2016, 05:46:18 pm »

Has anyone had success picking round Ace locks? I googled it and there are some tools that you can use for this. I just wondered if anyone has tried it ?

It's difficult for me to just drill out a 50 year old original lock if there is an alternative.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 06:09:02 pm »

Mind posting a picture of the lock?

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 06:27:49 pm »

Has anyone had success picking round Ace locks? I googled it and there are some tools that you can use for this. I just wondered if anyone has tried it ?

It's difficult for me to just drill out a 50 year old original lock if there is an alternative.

You may check a local locksmith.  If there is a number on the key core check eBay under ACE lock you be surprised your number may pop up as a listed key for sale...

ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:40 pm »

You may check a local locksmith.  If there is a number on the key core check eBay under ACE lock you be surprised your number may pop up as a listed key for sale...

I've done the eBay search.  This one doesn't come up.
I'll get a picture up ASAP, but it's a round Ace lock like on most all soda machines, candy and cigarette machines.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Starr X Openers
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:26:29 pm »

Understood, but what good is picking the lock if you don't have it's key to keep using it daily?

Somewhere in past posts here on the board, someone recommended a small circular hole cutter made to break into the Ace lock.

I kick myself for not buying one back then, but I'd order one today if someone finds that source.

Glen
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:01:09 pm »

Understood, but what good is picking the lock if you don't have it's key to keep using it daily?

Somewhere in past posts here on the board, someone recommended a small circular hole cutter made to break into the Ace lock.

I kick myself for not buying one back then, but I'd order one today if someone finds that source.

I just usually punch in the center and use a sharp 1/4" drill bit. But, they make small hole cutting bits for ace locks. Like here - http://www.bumpmylock.com/tubular-lock-drill-bit.html.
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:09:22 pm »

Glen, they are easy to re-key.

I can understand drilling newer locks, but I have one that is obviously old and would look good (to me) on the restored machine. That's the only reason that I would go to the effort.

I saw some circular lock picks on a website, and there are some YouTube videos showing how. I was wondering if anyone here has done it.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Starr X Openers
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 04:24:10 am »

i bought the kit to try and pick locks and gave up after about half an hour. But I'm not a very patient individual.

Dave
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 06:12:29 am »

Find the oldest locksmith guy working in a been there forever storefront. He just may have the correct blank "somewhere".
In San Jose, CA found a guy that had correct blanks and made keys for just about everything I owned at the time. I brought in a Mills gum machine. I was told "I'm too old to fool with the forked key locks".

Take away there was don't buy any uncommon lock without the key.
Creighton
steven c

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 10:19:35 am »

If there's a number a key can be made. If it's a newer Ace two drill it.
Drill the pins with bit a little bigger than the pins to remove the lip on inside and out side ring. The pins are spring loaded and most of it will come out. There will be two pins or maybe three in each hole. Use a long thin paper clip or similar object to work the hole pushing in and out. Tap with small hammer if necessary on face and tilt the machine forward if necessary. Stick a small blade screwdriver in center slit to turn. If it doesn't there are still some pins or spring in hole.

Just drill to the hole and not deep in the hole,,

Looking for Walther PP magazine #981029
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: