SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 06:58:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS-8-64 - need opinions  (Read 15807 times)
dylaninwv

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »

Awesome, thanks guys!
dylaninwv

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:46 am »

So, time for an update....

New door gasket is in. Finally. For posterity purposes, a few notes on changing the door seal gasket on a USS-8-64:

The original door gasket has a small molded lip that fits over the edge of the port assembly (part 37 on the schematic). After all the screws have been removed, pulling this out of here is very difficult due to this lip. Also, my seal had a fair amount of black mildew stains on it, so it's a bit messy.

The replacement seal from Funtronics does not have this lip, just a flat flange. Getting this flange into that extremely narrow gap is very difficult - I found using a couple of butter knives to make the gap larger and work the flange into the gap worked out the best. Even that though is a mess. Taking the whole door apart may or may not have been the better option.

So, gasket is now replaced. However, since the new gasket is not quite as compressed as the old one, the door tends to "bounce back" by about a 1/32 of an inch. I know that the glass door is adjustable - however a previous owner stripped some screws and also has the door to the far end of the holes, so no adjustment there.

For right now, I have a piece of cardboard in the gap between the glass door and the door frame to keep it fully shut against the gasket. I am thinking of using a cabinet door magnet as a long term solution o solve the door issue.

As for sealing though, it's sealed great now - thermo on 3, and the compressor cycles just like it should and temp holds at 34, with no condensation on the glass door. It's hard to make a judgement, as it's still in the 20-40s here, so I'll have to wait for a warm day to make a firm judgement.
dylaninwv

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:28 am »

Further status.....

Hard to judge due to the Polar vortex - temps have been in the low 20s to low 40s. We did however has one day up to 51, and I did notice a very small amount of condensation on the glass door, with maybe a little more usage on the condesner than normal. So I'm thinking main loading door seal now.

Below are some pics on the main door seal - it doesn't look too bad, but the access section for the wires looks a little funky to me. Thoughts anyone?

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 01:58:17 pm »

The area where the wires pass through is usually filled with a putty-like substance as a soft insulation.  When I refreshed my VMC44 I used plumber's putty.  You might want to take out the old, possibly petrified, stuff and replace it.  Cheap and easy.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: