SMC Discussion Areas
April 20, 2024, 12:22:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal 55 modification.  (Read 5251 times)
GreenMo
25 Cent Member

« on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:46 pm »

I searched old posts and threads but did not come across any related to my question.   

I'm considering converting a pepsi 55 to an open top cooler sans rack and coin box.   Would it be possible to remove the coin box mounting plate from the side body without damaging the unit.  It seems like it's welded on pretty good. 
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:23:41 pm »

I would think you could take an end grinder and thin cutting wheel and cut the welds until the plate is loose and then slowly grind the welds down until its smooth enough for bondo and paint touch up .

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:55:40 pm »

I don't see how the coin box mounting plate would interfere with you using it as a reach in cooler? I'd leave it alone incase you ever want to convert back or sell. plus you have to do this prior to any restoration as you will have to do body work to make it look good once grinding and such?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:04:47 pm »

I don't see how the coin box mounting plate would interfere with you using it as a reach in cooler? I'd leave it alone incase you ever want to convert back or sell. plus you have to do this prior to any restoration as you will have to do body work to make it look good once grinding and such?

I agree. That mounting plate doesn't stick up too high. It doesn't come off without major work like as cohammer eluded to.
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:46:54 pm »

Plus the future resale value will be harmed after you go to all of that work. I'd leave it. Maybe decorate it somehow to blend in?

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
GreenMo
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:50 pm »

Thanks for your replies.  You all make good points.  I've considered removing it because without the coin mech attached it basically looks like something's missing.   Once done  it's going to be given away as wedding gift to a non collector who brews his own beer.    He's far from a purist.    The atlas junior electric (dr pepper) resembles the ideal 55 and looks pretty sleek as it never had a coin mech and therefore no metal bracket.   
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:40:27 am »

Thanks for your replies.  You all make good points.  I've considered removing it because without the coin mech attached it basically looks like something's missing.   Once done  it's going to be given away as wedding gift to a non collector who brews his own beer.    He's far from a purist.    The atlas junior electric (dr pepper) resembles the ideal 55 and looks pretty sleek as it never had a coin mech and therefore no metal bracket.   

So does a Glasco GBV-50 Slider (no bracket on side)

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 03:20:22 pm »

I personally wouldn't remove the bracket... It's not that apparent and removing it diminishes the value of the machine IMHO.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:21:31 pm »

No reason to remove that bit. Will just get lost down the road.
Creighton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: