SMC Discussion Areas
April 18, 2024, 03:35:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier C55-D - Cooling system conversion  (Read 16688 times)
yann1ck

« on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:43 pm »

Hi guys!

I'm new to the community and this is my first post. Before I begin, forgive me if you found some spelling mistakes, english is not my primary language!

I recently bought my first vintage coca-cola machine and I totally fell in love with it... It look great in my garage and it won't be my last vending machine! It's a 1961 Cavalier C55-D and everything is working on it except the cooling system because the fridge is not getting cold. The compressor and the fans seams to work fine and I think it might be a leak. I will need to call a professional to take a look at it to see what is the real problem.

Right now, I'm wondering if I call someone to repair the whole thing or if I change the entire cooling system for a newer version. What are you guys thinking? Any suggestions of what would be the best, cheapest and easiest way to fix this?

I also heard that the old system is taking a lot of energy... Will I save money on electricity if I convert all the cooling system? And on this kind of machine, is it preferable to keep all the original parts and fix the issue?

Thank you very much for your help Wink
Yannick

Th

The french Canadian newbie!

- Cavalier C55-D
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:00 pm »

Welcome to the Site!

In many cases a cooling system over time with leak causing all of the freon ( r-12) to leak from the system.  If your are able to find a service technician that has access to R-12 Freon Refrigerant you could have the unit serviced.  If you are living in the U.S. geographically somebody might be able to have provide you with a contact for servicing the unit.

If you are going to remove the system for service, shipping, maintenance, etc;

You can build a small stand out of 1x2 or 2x4 wood and some OSB as a bottom plate or any scrap wood laying around your garage.  Measure the cabinet height and be very careful removing the unit from the machine as you will notice following the copper line from the condenser up to the evaporator they are connected.  

I use the OSB and a bottom plate about 4x4 and a 1x2 or 2x4 on each side vertically of the side of each bottom plate with one 2x4 going across.  You will set the lower compressor on the bottom plate and the evaporator will set on the 2x4 going across.

As far as upgrading the unit for any added efficiency and cost savings I would say it's not going to make a big difference. It's always recommended that you replace the wiring harness, both fan motors, and fan blades, and thermostat.  This will provide you will good piece of mind and maximum perfomrance from the cooling system.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:10:56 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
yann1ck

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:03:45 am »

Thank you very much for all the informations, it's very appreciated!  biggrin

I think I will go with your suggestion because I really want this machine to work properly! Do you know how much approximately it could cost for a service/maintenance on this cooling system + changing the parts that you mentioned? (worst case scenario)

- Cavalier C55-D
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:12:11 pm »

Keep in mind that your cooling system in your Cavalier 55-D looks nothing like the one pictured above, but the basic principle of the shipping stand is a very good Idea, as is replacing all of the major electrical components mentioned in the prior posting, in addition, a modern compressor will indeed be more energy efficient, plus this would allow the system to be converted to Eco-friendly refrigerant R134A.   I'd replace the compressor, its darn near 60 years old anyway, spray paint doesn't restore the compressor, it just makes a shiny black brick.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:16:35 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 04:03:02 pm »

The picture was only intended to be used as a visual aid.  I have seen many quality restorations with original compressors that have been serviced, painted, etc.  So I'm guessing opinions will vary ...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:07:25 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »

Just my two cents if you are able to remove your old cooling unit be on the lookout for another unit . I have came across them in many ways but check with your local refridgeration guys or maybe another newer machine that comes cheap as a donor. Most of the time same compressor same wiring will have alot of the same problems.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 07:31:49 am »

A Cavalier 55D's compressor assembly is unique mainly due to the Evaporator setup & the compact nature of the chassis, so, you'd be looking for an identical machine if you were planing to swap the decks around. and the used unit would still be, well... used, ( make sure it works before buying a donor parts machine)

11 is louder than 10...
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »

Have you explored this option?
     http://www.ebay.com/itm/cavalier-coke-machine-/121728228224?hash=item1c57915b80:g:RAcAAOSwu4BVyi2Q
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:53:06 am by johnieG » Logged

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:13 pm »

Yikes! That poor thing is a wreak! Plus the compressor deck is stuffed backwards into the condensor faces forward on a 55D.  But it is cheap!

11 is louder than 10...
yann1ck

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »

Like "JohnieG" said, this machine look like a wreak and it would be expensive to ship it where I am in Montreal, Canada! I called a service technician this morning to come and see the cooling system. I will wait to see if he can fix it and if not, I will convert the whole system to a new one with R134A.

I know there is not a lot of place in this machine, but I'm sure I would be able to fit a new compressor, condenser and evaporator if needed since everything is smaller by those days! Hopefully, I will be lucky with the evaporator because I have the feeling that it has been already replaced. It don't look as old as the rest of the other components!

- Cavalier C55-D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: