SMC Discussion Areas
April 20, 2024, 03:45:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flitz assistance  (Read 9718 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: December 14, 2015, 01:26:46 pm »

Since coming to this discussion group several years ago I have started using Flitz for all of my smaller polishing projects, but have yet to use on something larger.  On the smaller projects I have always been able to use a buffing wheel, but my question is around using it on something larger.  For example I have a soda fountain and some chrome soda fountain stools that I would like to use it one and was wondering how larger projects are handled.  I could just apply it with a soft cloth and clean it off with a polishing cloth, but I also have an electric buffer and a few different types of buffing wheels for my drill but was not sure if that would damage anything.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:51:36 am »

Found this link on the flitz page which helps a bit, but was hoping to get some 1st hand experience from people on this site that have used it.  It actually mentions using flour for large services to help absorb the leftover polish residue.  Has anyone tried this?   

http://www.flitz.com/blog/get-results-with-flitz-metal-polish/
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 11:33:11 am »

I just always used a rag.  Put polish on, buff off.  On pitted areas I would apply the Flitz with a soft bristle toothbrush.  It gets into the pits and the rag will buff in the pits.  Just watch for crevices, the blue will show and dry in them.  Use a Q tip to remove any excess Flitz while still wet.  I've been using it for about twenty years.  A little goes a long way.  Use sparingly.

I bought my son the buffing bonnets from Flitz for a drill to use on his rims for his car.  We found that a rag did a better job.  Just a lot of elbow grease.  Flitz recommended using the micro fiber cloths and again, a rag worked better.  I just buy the generic dish towels at Ikea.  When you are done, throw the towel out.  If you wash a Flitz rag in the washer and drier, metal pelets form and screw with your other laundry.  At least that's what the wife told me.  She'll wash my Novous and carnubw wax rags, but no Flitz rags.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:44:46 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:04:34 pm »

Great info!! thanks Larry.
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 12:26:09 pm »

Here's an example of a machine that I used Flitz on. The upper two thirds had been completed in the photo. I used the paste not the liquid. I really think the paste does a much better job. This was all done by hand- no buffer or anything like that. I just use a old bathroom towel- it provides some light scrubbing ability.

The streaky part cleaned up nicely later with some professional wax I use.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:32:49 pm by BEAYOUNG » Logged
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 01:32:49 pm »

Wow what a difference. Looks great!
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:48:35 pm »

Thanks Brenda.  It looks like from what you and Larry have experienced the best way to go is just old school by hand.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:44 pm »

Brenda,
I'll bring down a few machines for you to polish up for me... Looks great...  glare biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »

No problem John! I'll put them in line!  biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: