SMC Discussion Areas
April 25, 2024, 03:40:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier USS-8-64 Repair  (Read 14846 times)
Sneak A Peak

« on: December 09, 2015, 01:12:41 pm »

Good Morning SMC. I have just picked up an old vending machine on craigslist that I am hoping I will be able to use full time as a garage firdge.  

I was looking for an old vending machine that would vend both bottles and cans.  Wanted a smaller unit, also wanted a 7up theme (lifetime favorite soda).  After extensive searching of the web for information about what I was looking for, I found a cavalier USS-8-64 manufactured in 2/87.

Machine runs and cools, but then cools too much. With in 30 minutes the unit was at 5 degrees.  I unplugged it and let it get back to room temp, adjusted the thermostat to all the way warm, and plugged it back in.  it cooled down to and held temp just under 20 degrees F.    It seems the compressor is always running, I would think that it would need to cycle in and out when at temp.  It is also quote loud, if need be I can upload a video to YouTube.    

Can anyone help me get this thing running correctly?  What do you think the problem is/could-be?  I paid what I think is a bit higher than what folks here think they are worth ($275), so I don't really want to throw more at a appliance repair call for something that could be a simple r&r.

Coin operation, door solenoid, lights, and other bits seem to be working correctly, although I do have a weird thing going on.  it takes 3 quarters to get the solenoid to open, then it gives me 30  cents back in change in nickels and dimes.   can anyone help me out understand how to adjust the   selection amount?  There seems to be what looks like a adjuster much like a garage door code has, I would assume this is what needs to be adjusted, but not sure.  looking for guidance. thanks in advance!

Darryl
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:08:15 pm by Sneak A Peak » Logged
Sneak A Peak

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:23:00 pm »

Okay, after further review...

i found the blade under the evaporator.  This thing must have been broken for some time.  looks like over time the vibration sheered the mounting tabs and the housing fell off of the shelf.  Then someone obviously then tried to to place some kind of rubber bushing to mitigate the vibration.  can anyone confirm this is how the evaporator housing should be mounted?  is it only the two screws in the front?  the back just rests on the shelf?  if so i think i will just use some plumbers tape to secure the housing.  Thoughts?

What is the correct replacement fan for this?  i have not found a 6  blade fan on any of the sponsors websites.  can i assume a 5 blade fan would be sufficient?  I would surely appreciate your guy's input.

i also found this in the cabnit under the evaporator, does this look familiar to anyone?  where does it go?

more pictures:  long night getting her all cleaned up.  just used simple green and a scotch brite.  good enough for who its for....  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:08:43 pm by Sneak A Peak » Logged
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:17:36 am »

Sneaky,

Yes, you can use a 5 Blade Fan.  Good time to replace the lower motor as well.  The fan motor bracket should line up with the bolt hole pattern on the lower deck of the compressor.  Just make sure you fan blade when installed is positioned so it's not hitting anything when it's spinning.  There is also a fan motor and blade behind the evaporator this blows the cold up into the cabinet .

The broken piece looks like one of the rods, (bent) for the vending stack.  The rods are removable so you can adjust the individual shelves for different size bottles.

Most evaporators just mount with a screw directly to the flooring of the cabinet.  I have seen a few methods like this to help with the noise.  With a new motor and fan blade installed it may not be necessary!

Jared
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:23:32 am by Slapshot42 » Logged
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 12:21:16 am »

Looking at the vending stack a little bit more close I'm  not sure what the small piece goes too?  Are there any other like pieces on the machine that look similar??
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:24:13 am by Slapshot42 » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:26:13 am »

Hopefully you can get the rusted screws out of the floor and even if you can't,
make yourself a couple of tabs bent at 90 degrees to secure the evaporator and eliminate the vibration.
       The number blades on the fan is not as important as the diameter and direction of pitch.
       Post a photo of the coin mech switches so we can help you set your pricing.
       Now my question for you......... how are you able to post those large photo's between your text! happydrinkers 
Do you have to downsize pic's?  Welcome to the site!

Glen
Sneak A Peak

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 12:01:52 pm »

Thanks for the responses!  

I just ordered the EP8 fan from the Soda Jerk (although the lady was very nice even though my questions were likely on the stupid side) .  Also ordered the drip tray as it was missing.   Both of the fans still work, I thought about ordering a spare, but I want to see if this thing is going to work correctly before I buy spare bits just in case.  

Slapshot:  I am not sure what this thing is, there is nothing similar within the cabinet.  it was wedged between the top vending shelf and the back wall.  Looks like maybe someone took a shot at stopping some noise vibration.  was hoping to see if someone could point it out as a needed part or FOD.

MoonDawg: Here is a bad picture.  I did find a download last night from coinco that had price setting instructions.  looks like there is a series of 5 switches that are either on or off, different switches are for different amounts, and the sum of the switches that are in the on position is the vend price.  Simple enough I think, but I will wait to adjust anything until I get it all back together and make sure the cooling is working properly.

For your picture question,  just use a free photobucket.com account.  Once you have an account and upload the picture you want to share.  copy the img link it gives you for the picture and paste it into the forum response box.  Just remember that it is a link to the photobucket account.  So if you do not disable the link back function within your settings you are giving people a link back to your photobucket account where they can view all of the pictures you have loaded within it.   Search link back settings.  I hope that helps.

Darryl

Sneak A Peak

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:24:56 am »

I got the new thermostat mounted and installed.  Can you experts take a look and see if this is probe is installed correctly? it is directly touching the evaporator in more than one place.   I did not secure it to the evaporator, but it is touching.  Is this how it should be?  Thanks in advance.

Sneak A Peak

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 12:08:02 pm »

Update....   

I ended up having to order a new fan motor as well. The EP8 blade I received was the opposite pitch as the one I removed.  Contacted the Soda Jerks and they were very helpful.  Apparently the motor I had removed spun in the opposite direction as the new replacements that are sold.  So the new motor and fan pull the air through the evaporator fins, past the fan and up through the ducting as it should.  This thing is running whisper quiet, and the compressor is now cycling.  I have the thermostat on level one, and it is holding the cabinet at about 35 degrees (was only 40 or so in the shop). I am assuming I may have to turn the dial up in the summertime.

I want to thank all of you who took the time to help me out.  I am super excited to put this thing into service for the foreseeable future.

Darryl
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 11:39:32 pm »

For the coin mech issues, here's the thread on how to set the DIP switches for the amount: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,1138.0.html

Verify what amount yours is set for, then you can try a few tests to see why it's doing funny stuff. 

sodamuseum.com

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 03:53:56 pm »

I have the service manual for your machine and would be happy to email it to you if you think it would help.  PM me if you are interested.

Thanks, Tom

Tom

Lots of machines, someday I will put together a list
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: