SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 04:31:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 81D door not sealing properly.  (Read 4636 times)
Bruce

« on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:45 pm »

Lately after loading new bottles into the (restored) machine, I notice water on the floor. After investigating it seems to be pooling in the lip of the door seal. Did some googling, and it might be because of a bad seal, causing condensation. I found  this thread here discussing a very similar problem.

It appears that on the right hand side of the machine, the door itself looks to bow open some towards the bottom. The left hand (hinge) side appears to be fine.I will incllude pics. Is there an easy way to correct this, or at least make a better seal? Not only do I have to worry about water (and resulting rust/corrosion) on the base plate of the machine, (not the compressor skid) but it is also not being as efficient as it should, resulting in more wear on the cooling system and higher electric bills.

Any way to get the door more straight? I can't think of any. Can I adjust the latch mechanism to make it "pull" the door harder? And if that is possible, I would think it would impact the top also, making it even snugger.

Thoughts anyone?

vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:18:22 pm »

There are washers behind the catch part of the latching mechanism.  If you unscrew the two screws that attach the catch to the cabinet you will find the washers.  If you have multiple washers, take one or two off each screw and re-attach the catch and you will have a tighter seal.  If you only have only washer on each screw, you will have to find thinner washers to replace what you have.  Make sure you only use non-metallic washers.  You can find something suitable at your local hardware store.
Ezra
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »

Very nice machine!! FYI , I believe the D had two columns of fins on the side. Nice paint!
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 10:11:17 pm »

Unless a super early D model the cabinet has been switched, I've only seen one D model that was orig with that cabinet.

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:54:04 am »

Not sure if anyone has replied to fix your problem...
but often times this is a result of the door liner not being installed correctly.. if not done a flat surface when puttiing on the liner it is pretty easy to get it to "Pull" on one corner causing it to do this ..

often times the only fix is to loosen up some of the door liner screws and redrill the hole or make it bigger so it doesn't pull one area more than the other.

it's hard to describe, but that is your issue.

yes pulling the door tighter by adjusting the latch strike will help but not cure.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:32:52 pm »

Unless a super early D model the cabinet has been switched, I've only seen one D model that was orig with that cabinet.

Vendo 80 Cabinet?
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:26:12 pm »

Vendo 81 A B or C, early Vendo 80, or VMC 81 RC, Pepsi, or generic

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26