SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 09:21:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to fill holes in galvanized tub before powdercoating?  (Read 4004 times)
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« on: September 24, 2015, 12:36:30 pm »

I'm in the midst of starting my 81D restoration and wondered if there was any trick to filling holes in a galvanized tube. Or, am I just stuck with them? As you can see, there's a few holes in it and there will be four more when I take the brackets off. I am going to get the tub and shelves powder coated, but would like to fill the holes if possible. Anyone come across this and have a solution?

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:15:55 pm »

My powder coated in the past has used USC - ALL Metal. It worked good some have had mixed reviews.

Here is some info from a forum on Eastwood;

"USC All-Metal is another very good filler that can be powder coated over. It is available in some auto parts stores, and is a filler with hardner that you mix like standard bondo. I always let cure around 30 minutes, then oven cure at coating temp for another 15 minutes, then coat after cooling. Since the filler has metal in it, it is conductive, and will take up to 500 f cure temps. The Alll-Metal is available in pint or quart sizes. As with all fillers, use multiple thin coats to fill deep depressions. I have never had issues with it shrinking or cracking when used properly."
jrwienri
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »

I oxy acetylene braze mine up and then grind back smooth on the inside but leave a little bulge on the outside where it is not seen for strength. Brazing can take the temps of powder coating whereas soldering cannot

Vendo 81D
U-Pop-It
Haweye Peanut Warmer
Bally Lucky Alley Contact Ball Bowler
Williams Gold Mine Shuffle Bowler
Williams Funhouse Pinball
Seeberg 3W1 Wall Box
Seeberg 3WA Wall Box
Stoner Jr with Gum Wheel
Numerous Vintage Gas Pumps
Numerous Vintage Cars
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:30:03 pm »

spot mig weld it
then grind

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:42:07 pm »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll report back on my progress.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: