Why the heck water fountains on old coke machines?

(1/3) > >>

:
I just bought an old roundtop V83 on eBay and it still has the original water fountain attached to it.

I have seen many of the old 1950's Coke machines with these "bubblers" on them and I have always wondered:

Why the hack did Coca-Cola put water fountains on the sides of some of their beverage machines when it seems so obvious to me that it would cut down on sales of the Cokes???

I just don't get it. That's like trying to sell hamburgers for a profit, while handing out free unlimited hotdogs!

Please explain this one to me.

But I do think it is neat how they were made to run the waterline through the refrigerated area of the Coke machine to cool the water.

Creighton:
Good for you!
Your first all mechinical box correct?
No idea why they put the bubblers on. Only theory I can come up with is, places where the machine would be, wanted cold water as well. As a kid the gas stations and such always had something. Bet you paid extra to have one installed. Everybody would see the Coke brand.
You gonna leave it on? Pictures of the new baby?
Creighton

:
Photos of the machine can be found here:
http://soda-machines.com/cgi-loc....;t=2058

I won't be picking it up for a week or so.

Kevin C:
Hello

Maybe the coke cost to much or no change.

Kevin  

:
I'm actually considering removing the water fountain from the V-83, cleaning it up very thoroughly and then installing it on my V-216MD that is near our kitchen so that my boys and I would have a functioning drinking fountain in our house. How cool would that be?!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page