SMC Discussion Areas
April 19, 2024, 08:02:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member - Help Wanted (United Sound & Signal P-384 Visi-Cool Pepsi Cooler)  (Read 8607 times)
John Clarke

« on: July 18, 2015, 05:04:17 pm »

Hi,

I have my first vintage cooler, and am obsessed with it. I've had it for maybe 60 days, and my extremely patient and gracious (yet also contrarily smoking hot) wife has already complained about my obsession.

The cooler is gorgeous, and after installing a new power cord, fires right up and cools beautifully.

However, I'm missing a couple of parts, and would appreciate any help that might be offered. The front bottom exterior blue sheet metal panel is missing, and so is the right side white sheet metal inside evaporator cover. Also, at some point the ballast and starter for the single F25T12/CW fluorescent bulb were cut out for an unknown reason, and I need to know which parts to buy, and the location that the factory installed them in. The grey door seals are in fine working order, but they're covered with a reddish brown persistent sticky goo, like cola concentrate (the wire shelves were partially covered in it), and I'd love to know either a good product to use to clean that substance off, or a source for replacement (having been raised by an antiques/collectibles dealer, I wil bend over backward to restore rather than replace). I tried De-Solv-it a for a couple of minutes a couple of times, but it was EXTREMELY slow going.

If anyone can offer me any advice at all, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you,

John

P.S. I tried to upload a photo 5 times from my iPad, taking screenshots from my photo library and cropping them, to no avail.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:37:21 pm by John Clarke » Logged

United Sound & Signal P-384 Visi-Cool Pepsi Cooler
John Clarke

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 07:38:39 pm »

I figured out how to resize a photo. The first time that I tried posting an image onto this thread, it said that I had a 400KB image size limit. Now it says 100KB, so here's a very fuzzy 96KB image of my new cooler:

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »

Nice cooler John, that picture is the closest I have ever seen of one of these.
          I use the glass cleaner in the foamy aerosol can, to help melt the syrup deposits.

Glen
John Clarke

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 08:20:37 pm »

Nice cooler John, that picture is the closest I have ever seen of one of these.
          I use the glass cleaner in the foamy aerosol can, to help melt the syrup deposits.

Thanks so much Glen! I really appreciate the advice! I have a couple of cans of Sprayway ammonia-free glass cleaner that I'll try. It shouldn't damage the Plexiglas doors that it comes in contact with.

John

Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:27:36 am »

Nice cooler, very unique.

I used the same glass cleaner that moonDawg mentioned and then a sponge with hot water. I also let the cleaner soak for a while.
John Clarke

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 12:01:21 pm »

Nice cooler, very unique.

I used the same glass cleaner that moonDawg mentioned and then a sponge with hot water. I also let the cleaner soak for a while.

Good confirmation, thank you!

Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:13:03 pm »

Nice looking cooler John. I like the look of it.

I am sure some of the sponsors on here carry the ballast and starter. Or maybe a local hardwear store.

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Westinghouse WB126-B6-D (daily driver)
Vendo 39
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:19:36 pm »

Very neat cooler! I saw one at the Chicago show. Most of them I have seen are in poor condition with lots of cracks in the plastic. Yours looks to be in good condition. Good luck with the parts hunt I hope you find them all!

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
John Clarke

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:57:59 pm »

Nice looking cooler John. I like the look of it.

I am sure some of the sponsors on here carry the ballast and starter. Or maybe a local hardwear store.

Thanks Sarman, I sure hope that they do! I'd love to buy some parts from a sponsor on this site. I just hope that someone can show me where that ballast and starter were mounted, and which ballast was used.

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 09:12:30 pm »

Welcome to the forum!  I'm not sure if the sponsors have the ballast and starters and socket that you need, I checked and didn't see them.  Here are the links to the parts on Amazon to get you started:

Ballast: http://www.amazon.com/Advance-LC-25-TP-I-Fluorescent-Ballast-Preheat/dp/B003MRLY4E
Starter: (FS-25, can be found at Lowes/HD) http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-42512-FS-25-Ballast-Starter/dp/B000UX5YL2
Starter Socket: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-396-Fluorescent-Lampholder-Stripped/dp/B003AU6DM6

I'd look around for the mounting holes, there should be two each for the ballast and starter socket, located somewhat close to each other.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: