SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 05:10:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found another clock - can you glue glass?  (Read 4512 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: June 06, 2015, 04:01:12 pm »

Well I picked up a really cool clock at an auction this morning.  Only problem is that the glass face is cracked in half.  Its a clean break and the ad paint is only flaked away from the crack edge in one small spot.  Has anyone ever had a face glued back together?  Even if the line shows up slightly, this thing will look great once its cleaned up.  The center of the glass is clear with a metal disc behind it.  The numbers are stamped out of the metal so they light up from behind.  Would love any advice on repair options.  Will talk to the local glass shop next week, but I am sure this is not a common thing for them, so if anyone has thoughts I am all ears.  Also, I have not seen a clock like this before.  Kind a cross between a double bubble and a Pam.  If anyone knows anything about this style I would be curious on that as well.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
crackerman_don
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:13:43 pm »

Beautiful clock Brian I have a Pepsi clock that looks,like that with a metal face and bubble glass on exterior. I will post a pic later.

Don

Vendo-39
Vendo-27a
Vendo-56
7 up VMC-33
Popperette
Vendo 27
Vendo 44
Pepsi Gullwing
Minut pop
Seeburg W
You'll Like popcorn
Glasscock Counter Top
Popcorn Sez
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:49:35 pm »

Maybe the guys in the pinball forums could help with cracked glass solutions?

Glen
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 09:10:30 pm »

Maybe the guys in the pinball forums could help with cracked glass solutions?

That's an excellent suggestion.  Off to do some research!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 09:57:45 pm »

I saw some glue today at my local grocery store for gluing glass it might be worth a shot

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 10:43:04 pm »

It can  be done. Both parts must be clean and dry. Surface needs to exist for the two be glued parts to rest on and be clamped correctly. If any kind of artwork on the piece don't want glue on that. Wish you success with the pinball folks.
Creighton
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:13:01 am »

Good luck I like that clock . Not to be a downer but I have had two different clocks I tried to repair cracks on and they were better off if I had just left them alone.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 07:20:26 am »

Even if you are successful glueing it the line will appear about the same visualy.   I would leave it alone as long as the glass is secure and not in danger of falling out.

Greg
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 07:25:24 am »

I had an Evans Rolletto Jr. console slot that was broken in three spots.  I used a glue that I bought from McMaster Carr in Illinois.  They are similar to Grainger.  Anyway, that was years ago and I don't remember the name of the glue, but it was a two part epoxy for glass.  I believe it was a 3M product.  The people at McMaster Carr are very knowledgeable and can probably point you in the right direction.  I know when my piece was done, I could extend it out and it did not fall apart.  This glass was aprox. three feet by two foot.  It had some weight to it.  Here's a picture of it before I repaired it.  I don't have an after shot, but I did make a video of the game before I sold it.  You can scan the video to see the repair (1:50 sec.).  Light goes through where the paint was lost on the numbers.  The stuff worked great but this was a piece that needs to open to repair the game and I was afraid that the glass would eventually fall out and shatter more.  If yours is secure, leave it alone.  If you must glue it, call McMaster Carr, they will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6I5j8Niy1I
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:36:22 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 12:41:43 pm »

lock-tite makes a glass glue.....you can get it at home depot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: