SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 05:25:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is not cooling a deal killer?  (Read 5141 times)
Ben
5 Cent Member

« on: April 01, 2015, 08:01:31 pm »

Newbie question.  I have passed on several machines that I think I could refurbish or restore because the were not cooling.  If it is a freon problem, how difficult is it to get it charged.  I've been told its illegal for AC guys to work on freon systems.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:31:35 am »

Good question!
Sometimes the issue is not with the Freon, but simply a fan motor. Easy test to determine whether the compressor is working and cooling. Just plug it in solo and feel for cold lines.
If everything is running like it should, but not cooling then I'd pass unless the seller is willing to adjust price for the bad system.
My six cents...

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:36:28 am »

It took me a while but I finally found a good refridgeration person in my area. Not cooling is fine with me as long as I have figured that into the price. A new compressor is $160 and my guy charges me $150 to install it and recharge. So as long as you have room in the pricing/value to accomodate that, should you encounter the worst case, you should be fine!

B.
Ben
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 05:25:43 pm »

Thanks for the info.  So, are there still cans of the old freon to be had and is recharging the system something I could do? Or, is the only route a new compressor with whatever coolant goes in them. I remember back in the good old days (about 19 and 78), I put numerous cans of freon into my 1972 Camaro over the course of one summer because I was too cheap to get the air conditioning fixed. I figure I put about a mile sized hole in the ozone.... but I digress.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 07:28:47 pm »

Thanks for the info.  So, are there still cans of the old freon to be had and is recharging the system something I could do? Or, is the only route a new compressor with whatever coolant goes in them. I remember back in the good old days (about 19 and 78), I put numerous cans of freon into my 1972 Camaro over the course of one summer because I was too cheap to get the air conditioning fixed. I figure I put about a mile sized hole in the ozone.... but I digress.
Unlikely - most of these are sealed systems so you would need some specialty equipment to recharge... and if it needs a recharge it has a leak somewhere.

Everybody sing it:  "Just needs a .... SHOT OF FREON!"

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Ben
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:44:08 pm »

That's what I needed to hear! I've got to get over the "I know I can save that machine" stage.
Thanks.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

Perfect example.... http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/atq/4939067576.html........"Most likely a shot of refrigerant and it will work!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: